Fingerpicking Exercise

Craig

Reaction score
I was fortunate in being able to give a basic fingerpicking class at this year's Reno Ukulele Festival. I thought some of you may get some use out of my worksheet. Here's the link:http://ukulelecraig.com/fmajrev.pdf Though the standard notation is written with a low G, the TAB works fine for both low G and reentrant.

I hope you get something out of it!:)

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

But...stupid newbie question....what does "Jump" mean???? (I just know it's going to be something that's really obvious....)

But...stupid newbie question....what does "Jump" mean???? (I just know it's going to be something that's really obvious....)

The first exercise, including, "Aloha Oe," one only used their thumb, index and middle fingers. Thus, you have to jump from the lower three to the upper three strings. The "New Age Reno," is a four finger exercise that doesn't require one to "jump."

I hope this answers your question....

Thank you very much for sharing.....I'm working on this right about now, especially since I got a banjo uke.

Another cool aspect is that once one learns to harmonize (put chords to) a major scale, one can figure out little chord solos using those forms.... I use a harmonized F Maj scale in, "An I Love Her," which is in Dm...same key as F: The first two chords are Gm (the second chord in the exercise) and Dm.

Last edited:
Craig - what model Ko'olau ukulele is that? and what size?

AB

Craig - what model Ko'olau ukulele is that? and what size?
AB

Hi AB, It's a tenor pineapple - one of their premium models. It has a Port Orford cedar top with Brazilian rosewood back and sides. If you go to my YouTube channel, I have a video devoted to the ukulele.

Take care,
Craig

This is very cool, thanks so much! :cool:

Top Bottom