I've stopped biting my nails...

kirbo

Reaction score
I've had this nervous habit all my life, but after playing for a few months and deciding that picking and strumming is easier with nails, I've quit. Just wanted to share with you all.

Enjoy, Kirbo. After another few months, you'll realize how much there is to learn about this four-stringed instrument, and you'll start biting them again.

Welcome to the former nail biter's club! I stopped as well when I started playing uke, but I have to tell you, nail care drives me up the wall! I don't know how other people do this on a daily/weekly basis. That being said, don't put your fingers anywhere near your mouth. I had to resist the temptation to chew off a bit of hanging nail. Instead, get the nail file and clipper (or scissors) out and just take care of that imperfect nail. It also builds the good habit of keeping you nails in check.

Just make sure you get that sweet spot of nail length on your strumming/picking hand. I sometimes let them grow a bit (which is awesome for picking) but people start commenting on how obscenely long I have them.

BTW- for me, it's been almost 10 months nailbiting free, thanks to the ukulele!

...but I have to tell you, nail care drives me up the wall! I don't know how other people do this on a daily/weekly basis.
Ah, but it's necessary for someone who plays a stringed instrument and plucks/strums with their nails.

I like what are called crystal or glass nail files, much gentler than regular emery boards or metal files. I use the Ruby Stone, they are fairly cheap at beauty shops, though I bought my last couple on ebay.

They're very durable, but can break if dropped on a hard floor. The surface will eventually clog up with nail dust. Soak in warm water with a little dish soap and then scrub with an old toothbrush and let dry and they'll be good as new. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah, my index was the first to grow kinda long. My wife just kinda raised her eyebrows with a look saying, are you serious?

I'm actually a bit blown away to see this thread because I'm going on my 5th day of not biting my nails also thanks to ukulele. It's crazy because I've been chewing my nails my whole life (I'm 23) and I'm ALWAYS chewing them, my hands look gross. 5 Days and they already look semi-normal!

Good luck and know that I feel your pain :)

Awesome dude. It's been a good six weeks I've gone without biting. It gets easier but I still tend to pick at them if I'm nervous.

On a side note, I now have to either change the way that I have held a pen for the past 30 years or just deal with the pain that's caused by my thumbnail when it sticks into the side of my finger.

Top Bottom