San Francisco Ukulele Expo - November 2012

Elainede

Reaction score
Calling all ukulele builders, luthiers, and makers of ukulele accessories wanting to participate in the first, ever, SAN FRANCISO UKULELE EXPO, free and open to the public.

There will also be an ukulele swap-meet--a chance to divest yourself of any extraneous ukulele gear you might have and pick up some more--in addition to displays by leading ukulele manufacturers.

There'll be on-going jam sessions and free workshops for beginners.

The idea is bring the entire Bay Area ukulele community together AND introduce as many new folks as possible to the many joys of ukulele.

To be held the first, second, or third weekend in November. Please contact me via private message if you are interested in participating or helping out.

More to come.

Elaine

Sounds like fun!

–Lori

SF Ukulele Expo

I knew I could count on you, Lori. :) Will you be at Wine Country this year?

Elaine

Calling all ukulele builders, luthiers, and makers of ukulele accessories wanting to participate in the first, ever, SAN FRANCISO UKULELE EXPO, free and open to the public.

Elaine, thank you - you have no idea how happy the words free and open to the public make me! Between travel expenses and fees, most of the upcoming northern California uke events are cost-prohibitive for me, and I know I'm missing out on seeing the work of some wonderful luthiers. I'll gladly spring for a trip to the City for this one!

I knew I could count on you, Lori. :) Will you be at Wine Country this year?

Elaine

We are doing fewer festivals this year, but I think we may do Wine Country again. We will have a few new additional accessories to introduce, and I think that would be a good one to do (my husband likes the dining and the wine).

–Lori

To be held the first, second, or third weekend in November. Please contact me via private message if you are interested in participating or helping out.

Elaine

Please keep us informed! My wife has a BOD Meeting the week before thanksgiving for the non-profit Bay Area Science Fiction group she's on, and if we can do everything in the same week, I get to come, too! (Even though we have to pay all of our own expenses - it is a REAL non-profit group!)

-Kurt​

Especially if we can find a sheep and wool festival around the same time!

Sounds like fun! Any ideas on venue, yet?

(my husband likes the dining and the wine).

–Lori

As I recall, your husband also enjoyed performing at the open mic at Taylor's Refresher on Sunday night..........;)

Between travel expenses and fees, most of the upcoming northern California uke events are cost-prohibitive for me, and I know I'm missing out on seeing the work of some wonderful luthiers. I'll gladly spring for a trip to the City for this one!

Where are you coming from? Have you checked out Camp Oo-Koo-Lay-Lay? It's not free, but if you're willing to camp it can be as little as $60 a day and you can come for as many, or as few days, as you'd like! And August is a fabulous time of year to be in the Sierra Nevada. In any case, we'd love to see you at either event......

Where are you coming from? Have you checked out Camp Oo-Koo-Lay-Lay? It's not free, but if you're willing to camp it can be as little as $60 a day and you can come for as many, or as few days, as you'd like! And August is a fabulous time of year to be in the Sierra Nevada. In any case, we'd love to see you at either event......

I live in Santa Monica, so it's not the getting-there that makes me balk, it's the staying-there. While not opposed to camping, I don't own gear and I know from past experience that renting gets pricey. Truth is, I would rather funnel my limited travel dollars and even more limited time off toward Hawaii than just about anyplace else :)

There just seems to be so much fun uke stuff going on in the northern part of our state, and so little here in the southern part! And accommodations are always a much better deal for the partnered rather than the solo like myself, so... on principal, I hold out for the few events that are closer to home and don't require a hotel.

But like I said - if the event was in SF and was free to attend, I would not hesitate to book a few nights at my favorite cheap SF motel (yes, they do exist) and drive up I-5. So I will certainly be looking forward to seeing this unfold!

Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I'll be posting more information as this event unfolds......

And accommodations are always a much better deal for the partnered rather than the solo like myself,

Not entirely true! Both the West Coast Ukulele Retreat and Camp Oo-Koo-Lay-Lay
will help you find a roommate so your housing cost would be halved.....

But if you're serious about going to Hawaii, I'd recommend Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island.....or George Kahumoku's camp on Maui.

Not entirely true! Both the West Coast Ukulele Retreat and Camp Oo-Koo-Lay-Lay
will help you find a roommate so your housing cost would be halved.....

But if you're serious about going to Hawaii, I'd recommend Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island.....or George Kahumoku's camp on Maui.

That's the thing though - as one who opts to travel solo, the idea of a roommate isn't very attractive. I've never been a "joiner" or big on group interaction - great for classes and jams or whatever, and then when that's done and over with, the "vacation" part of the equation is necessary. For me, that means time alone - I realize I'm probably in the minority here in more ways than one.

Bottom line, though, IMHO if something costs x-amount for two people, then it should cost exactly half that for one. But our society has never worked that way; why should it start now? :)

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking forward to learning more about the SF Ukulele Expo as things develop.

Top Bottom