Pick three songs

Freeda

Reaction score
If someone asked you about the diverse musicality of the ukulele and you could only answer them in the form of three songs that had to all be by different artists... What three songs would you give them?

(Quietly adds money to itunes account.)

nice one Freeda...in response to the last Jake thread...he he.

Well, not sure only 3 choices can take into account the full genre hopping musicality of the uke, but if I had three artists to point people towards they'd be Cliff Edwards, Lil Rev and Azo Bell.

(With huge apologies to John King, James Hill, Roy Smeck, Bill Tapia, Lyle Ritz, Iz, Victoria Vox etc etc...)

Great question though mate. Here's my 3:

Cliff Edwards

Lil Rev

Azo Bell (w/ the Old Spice Boys)

eugene ukulele got Cliff Edwards, so here's three more...

Sons of Hawaii "Mauna Alani" (a great Hawaiian group)
Herb Ohta "Hawaii" (a virtuoso soloist)
Electrelane "Cut and Run" (an English indie rock band)

Leaning on a lamppost - George Formby
Leaning on a lamppost - The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
Up the junction - The Bad Shepherds

Krabbers! I love this one:

Phil Disera:

WS64:

The above videos are by people who were very influential in my decision to buy a uke. Add to that group Jake, UOGB, and WS64. However...I felt I needed to include one person who didn't have any videos up when I got involved in the uke but who is certainly a major shaker and mover for newcomers now (IMHO, anyway)...

Man it was hard to pick just three when there are so many more I'd like to include, pros and amateurs alike...

Chopsticks - John King, a ukulele being a bit silly and incredibly serious in a traditional way

Chopsticks - James Hill, a ukulele being a bit silly and incredibly serious in a very non-traditional way

If only there were a third called "Chopsticks"...
Elephant Gun - Beirut, a ukulele playing a pivotal role in a band

These are all videos I've watched many, many times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom