Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I wanna new toy

Default I wanna new toy

I don't even know if this has been invented yet, but does anyone know... what I want is the answer to lugging around songbooks, short of memorizing every song I want to play. What I want is a Kindle or a Nook that has complete songs, rather than books, downloaded on it. Is that possible, or a pipe dream?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I personally use a Kindle Fire. I can browse the web pretty efficiently with that. You'll have to do a lot of work to compile it, but you should be able to collect a whole bunch of tabs and put them together in a .pdf document, or use an app called Calibre to put it all into one complete file. I'm actually toying with the idea myself...I want to collect about 150 or so tabs and organize them by artist in these books, and learn how to play them when I'm on trips or bored.

Cutting and pasting is easy enough, then it's just a matter of converting it into a format that your device can read. Should be simple enough, but time consuming.
    -Ben

KoAloha Pineapple Sunday 6 String
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor
    1928 Harmony Johnny Marvin
    Ohana TK-39
    c. 1970's Hikare Baritone
    Gretsch G9100
    Outdoor Ukulele Soprano #43

Videos

I have a sheet music app on my iPad called forScore and it works awesomely for any type of sheet music. You just save the PDF to it and voila. I bet you can import PDF files of songs to a nook or kindle too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I don't even know if this has been invented yet, but does anyone know... what I want is the answer to lugging around songbooks, short of memorizing every song I want to play. What I want is a Kindle or a Nook that has complete songs, rather than books, downloaded on it. Is that possible, or a pipe dream?
    If you have it in PDF format most of the e-readers will display it. I found my nook doesn't do a very good job, some fonts are real big and some are perfect, no adjustment. I have a cheap Coby 8" tablet with android 2.x running Adiko e-reader software that works great. If you have an Apple iPad there is a lot of music tab/notation apps and peripherals available. I hooked two $10 USB pedals to my Coby tablet and made it a "tele-prompter" for the background info/interesting stories about song we play when we do theme shows. I loaded PDF tabs for an Elvis show we did on short notice (not enough time to learn them) What you want is available, just a function of $$$$s vs effort.

I use my ipad and pdf files with ibooks. Super simple.
    Currently in the house:
    2 Kamaka sopranos
    Mya Moe Super Soprano
    Hibiscus Flea
    Really beautiful Moore Bettah Soprano

I've been really happy using an iPad with OnSong. Downloads and set organizing are very easy and it will accept almost any type of file you throw at it.

http://www.onsongapp.com

Nickie, that is a great idea. I have blackberry playbook tablet that files can be downloaded on. You can get several different brands of small tablets for $200
    RoxHum

"Music self-played is happiness self-made"

Sopranos: Donaldson (Myrtle), Kamaka (Koa), 2 Mainland's (Cedar/Rosewood & Mahogany),
    Nahenahe (Mahogany) (Thank you Stan)
    Concert: Mainland Classic Mahogany (low G)
    and one flashy white and gold Titano accordion

Vista (North County San Diego), California

I have a Pandigital Novel Android 7" tablet I got at Big!Lots for under $80 bucks. It allows me to view PDF, Word, Doc and other format songsheets. I put an 8 gigabyte SD card in it and have well over a thousand songsheets loaded into it with plenty of room for more. I read issues of Ukulele Player Magazine http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm on mine too. Ric

Manalishi Guest

A couple of Members of our Club have bought used
    Laptops very cheaply and display their songs on those
    as jpg's! Clear resolution, good page size and a good
    battery charge lasts at least the length of a session!
    Last edited by Manalishi; 04-12-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typos as usual!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luthien View Post
    A couple of Members of our Club have bought used
    Laptops very cheaply and display their song son those
    as jpg's! Clear resolution, good page size and a good
    battery charge lasts at least the length of a session!
    I like that idea. The extra screen size would be welcome, because with my failing eyesight, plus the lighting at some locations, it doesn't help with the Apple iPad and other small screen tablets.

Thread Information