Uke Clubs in Bangkok?

Luke El U

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know of any uke clubs in Bangkok, Thailand? I've gone to ask at Ribbee and Baan and they've given me English speaking people/organizations to contact, but I get no response. I've posted ads (in English) on the Bangkok Craiglist and Musolist, but have gotten no responses. I've been playing blues/jazz guitar for 30 years and recently took up the uke. I'd really like to jam regularly with other uke players here. Any suggestions?

Go to Maysa Hawaii on facebbok...he is one of the owners of Baan Ukulele.....he speaks english fluently..real nice guy

Ukulele Will and Ukulele Panda - try to get a hold of them.

I may be in Bangkok this June or July. If so, I'll send you a pm.

blues guitar - I need some tutelage on that. I read lots of books and practice but I think I need a actual person to give me some feedback.

Here's a link the Thai Uke Club site, http://www.ukeclub.net/
I know there is also a ukulele coffee shop somewhere in Bangkok.
Here's some more resources:
Uke Cafe (Learning Pad, 4/9 Soi Promsri 1, Sukhumvit Soi 39, 081-8131-350) sells ukuleles and offers lessons. Founded by the famous, Singhto Numchok and friends, they are open to anyone wanting to have a jam session. The place offers a cozy environment for beginners and a space for professional enthusiasts to share their skills. They also hold occasional workshops free of charge. Individual lessons are B700 per hour.

Ribbee Boutique (2/F, Digital Gateway, Rama 1 Rd., 081-985-4005. Open daily 11am-8pm. BTS Siam) pride themselves in being the first and only shop to sell authentic ukuleles and gear. There’s a massive collection of ukuleles for you to choose from. Workshops and regular visits from local ukulele enthusiasts are held regularly at the shop. For private lessons, visit their website http://www.ribbee.com for more information.

Monkey Plum Studio (2/F Chamchuree Square, Phayathai Rd., 084-666-2288. Open daily 10am-8pm. MRT Samyan) provides basic ukulele lessons free of charge for anyone interested. But while you’re there, it’s worth having a look at their collection of imported ukuleles as well as some custom-made ones.

Uku Cafe (1213/51, Lad Phrao Soi 94, 02-530-7432) not only has an impressive collection of ukuleles hanging on its walls, they also do coffee and cakes. If you’re a caffeine junkie, there’s a prize in it for you: Uku Café gives away a complimentary ukulele for every 100 coffees you purchase. With their hands busy at the moment, the cafe will start offering lessons in a few weeks.

mm stan: Thanks, he's accepted my FB "friending." I can't help to wonder if that is "Peng"? If so, I have met him, and he IS very nice. He seems very busy, too, so I'll just have to try to keep in touch with him. Thanks for the tip.

SuzukHammer: Okay, I'll try Ukes Will & Panda. This "Will" might just happen to be a friend of a friend. Though I'm American, I'll probably be back "home" in China during June and July. Nevertheless, try contacting me when you are in Bangkok, I'd be happy to share what I know about
"Blues" guitar.

hoosierhiver: Thanks for all the contacts. I have checked into the UkeClub site. I've been to Ribbee several times - I couldn't get conversations going there as easily and proactively as at Baan - who knows, maybe I had bad breath and BO when I visited Ribbee! I will continue to check in and with the other places you mentioned. BTW, I think I had the pleasure of meeting you at the Thai Uke Fest - I'm from Michigan.

Thanks again to all of you, and if anyone has anything else to suggest, I'm all ears. - Bill

Last edited:
Luke El U;915170 hoosierhiver: Thanks for all the contacts. I have checked into the UkeClub site. I've been to Ribbee several times - I couldn't get conversations going there as easily and proactively as at Baan - who knows said:
The guy from Baan ukulele is pretty eager, if you look at his website you'll notice he copied all the lessons directly from UU, translated them to Thai and posted them on his site.

mm stan: Thanks, he's accepted my FB "friending." I can't help to wonder if that is "Peng"? If so, I have met him, and he IS very nice. He seems very busy, too, so I'll just have to try to keep in touch with him. Thanks for the tip.

SuzukHammer: Okay, I'll try Ukes Will & Panda. This "Will" might just happen to be a friend of a friend. Though I'm American, I'll probably be back "home" in China during June and July. Nevertheless, try contacting me when you are in Bangkok, I'd be happy to share what I know about
"Blues" guitar.

hoosierhiver: Thanks for all the contacts. I have checked into the UkeClub site. I've been to Ribbee several times - I couldn't get conversations going there as easily and proactively as at Baan - who knows, maybe I had bad breath and BO when I visited Ribbee! I will continue to check in and with the other places you mentioned. BTW, I think I had the pleasure of meeting you at the Thai Uke Fest - I'm from Michigan.

Thanks again to all of you, and if anyone has anything else to suggest, I'm all ears. - Bill

Hi Luke, yes that's me "maysa hawaii" and "peng" :)
I use "maysa hawaii" on all my blogs on the Internet. It was nice meeting you and jamming with you the other day at Baan Ukulele. Please come again anytime. We have a lot of uke players coming in everyday especially during the weekends just to hang out and have a good time playing ukulele together. Of course, no purchase required.

Hi mmStan,
How are you doing? Hope all is well. I miss hanging out with you. Good old time when we lived in Hawaii together...hahaha.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for checking our website. Just to prevent any misunderstanding, we do NOT "copy" the videos from UU. We've used what is called "embed" videos from their youtube. That's a very common way of sharing the content on the Internet. We translate the content to Thai (in the description not on the video itself) to help Thai uke players understand the content and grow the community. Thanks!

Thank you all again very much. I am now making contacts and getting involved with the help of Baan, Ribbee, Ukulele Panda and others.
And the more playing opportunities there are for me, the more I'll feel it's worthwhile to invest in more and better ukes. Thanks again.

I have decided to start a ukulele club, where we can meet up and play songs (at a pub or restaurant that will welcome us).

Please come to my page and join the group so we can start planning activities. I just returned from the UK for a uke festival and there are tons of clubs there that meet once or twice a month. so fun! We are a huge city, we should be able to have a club too!

Basically we will put together a songbook and use that as our way to play together. I am fine to have Thai as well as English songs in the songbook. I am not looking to make money, just enjoy playing uke with other like-minded ukesters.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/282704815404312/

I will be in Bangkok from the 24th July for 3 days, I wouldn't mind know of any ukulele shops in Bangkok to have a look in when I visit, even possibly meet up for a jam if you want, all the best Richard

PS asked to join your fb page as well

Top Bottom