PegHeds

IrishKevin

wait...what?
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have had my set now for roughly a month, or more. All I can say is that they are fantastic, I absolutely love them. I had an issue with junk tuning machines which lead me to buy replacements. I decided to take the plunge and purchase a set. I can say honestly, the difference it made in playability is remarkable. I can seriously do everything next to tear on the strings and they will remain in tune or damned close! Not to mention, they also look great! I owe a great deal to Bill Thompson (craftedcow),thank you sir! Anyone else have an opinion on Pegheds?

Anyone else have an opinion on Pegheds?--IrishKevin.

Having owned Pegheads and geared and friction tuners, for the same price (or slightly less) I much prefer the expensive quality look, the feel, and the smooth and stable tuning of Grotoh Deluxe Friction tuners.

KIwaya Master 039.jpg

Last edited:
I agree pegheads are really a great uke tuner- they are smooth, and the lower gear ratio also means less turns to get up to pitch. Another thing most folks would want to consider is that the ergonomics of tuning from pegheds is better than side pointing tuners.

Gordon from Mya-Moe tried to sell me onto Pegheds 2 weeks ago but i had mixed feeling about it. the gears feels smooth and great but i just cant get over that plastic feel. i agree with coolkayaker1. im glad you found the tuner that work s for you

What kind of tuners did you get on your MyaMoe?
Anyway, they are high quality tuners. I highly recommend them. I cut one apart the other day just to see what was inside. The tiny planetary gears are pretty amazing.
UKEEKU has a fair review on them here:
http://ukeeku.com/2012/03/20/peghed-tuners-full-review/

They Slip on my concert.....maybe I got a bad set....darn and I got low tension martin strings on too..
but they work well on my Mya Moe...

They Slip on my concert.....maybe I got a bad set....darn and I got low tension martin strings on too..
but they work well on my Mya Moe...

Learn how to adjust the tension!
Push tuner knob inward while twisting to TIGHTEN tension.
Pull tuner knob outward while twisting to LOOSEN tenssion.

Did that Chuck...someone already suggested that, long ago...I can play for 30 seconds and it goes out of tune....darn it..I may have broken some thing when I took them off...
And I know the strings are broken in already...it been over a month and a half...

Last edited:
Did that Chuck...someone already suggested that...I can play for 30 seconds and it goes out of tune....darn it..
And I know the strings are broken in already...it been over a month and a half...

Learned this the hard way. Pegheds are right and left hand. If you get a bunch and mix them up, it's not easy to see the difference (tiny threads - they're inside the peg head once installed - going one way or the other). Make a mistake and put one on the wrong side and they won't hold.

Sounds like you've got a "right on the left side" (or vice versa).

BTW - Love Pegheds. Ratio is perfect to my way of thinking (I do a lot of stringing), light weight (great for our longnecks), traditional style. We're doing custom wood knobs.

Last edited:
Aloha Dirk,
I may have mixed it up....thank you...not sure....I took them off to polish the headstock when I changed my strings when I first got the uke...that could be it...
why didn't I think of that... now to check and figure out which is which...ha ha yes I would love to have the wooden ones too...mahalo nui

Aloha Dirk,
I may have mixed it up....thank you...not sure....I took them off to polish the headstock when I changed my strings when I first got the uke...that could be it...
why didn't I think of that... now to check and figure out which is which...ha ha yes I would love to have the wooden ones too...mahalo nui

Took them off?

Maybe there's something else to consider here. Unlike wooden pegs, they should be glued in. People have their favorite glues - I use a dab of super glue on the threads.

To make sure which is which, put your fingernail in the thread and rotate the tuner. That will let you know which way it rises. Right rise is right hand (facing front).

Last edited:
PEGHEDS are warranted for as long as they are on an instrument. If you don't tell us, we can't help you. You can contact us through www.pegheds.com (Chuck Herin) or www.pegheds.net.(Bill Thompson)

The only thing I have found to make them slip is #1, the knob needs pushed toward the front side to increase tension or #2, someone has put a left hand thread on the right hand side or vise-versa. The direction the string winds onto the spool should keep a tension on the threads..

Chuck----if you would have said something, I could have sent you a cutaway view.

I am curious about the "plastic" comments... the units are made of anodised aluminum.
The planetary gears are delrin nylon which is a different from plastic as is Mya-Moe from Makala.

The plastic knobs are satin finish rather than high shine. The ebony,rosewood, boxwood or whatever hardwood you sent us for your custom grips, are a shinier finish.
There are also four different shapes of grips as well

Last edited:
Bully! Custom grips on a peghed? Yes to one and all!

Be in touch soon Bill.

I have pegheads on my Sailor uke .. love them. They are very responsive and I like the fact that they are tucked neatly behind the headstock :)

PEGHEDS are warranted for as long as they are on an instrument. If you don't tell us, we can't help you. You can contact us through www.pegheds.com (Chuck Herin) or www.pegheds.net.(Bill Thompson)

UHm, I'm interested in upgrading my Kala Pocket uke to Pegheads but am not sure what model\size pegheds to get since it's a pretty small uke.

Any chance someome can identify the best model of pegheds to use for this uke?

Looking at them ,they look longer than standard tuners . Are they longer and if they are, how much?

Top Bottom