Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KoAloha fretboard material

Default KoAloha fretboard material

Hi, quick question... specifically for a tenor, are there any tonal differences (or other significant differences) between the standard KoAloha with rosewood fretboard and the 100% koa KoAloha with koa fretboard (the blond looking fretboard, which I think is koa)?

I don't know from Koaloha but have heard the fretboard material has no tonal affects. I could be wrong ( it happened once ) if some one believes otherwise please correct.

Quote Originally Posted by uke2020 View Post
    Hi, quick question... specifically for a tenor, are there any tonal differences (or other significant differences) between the standard KoAloha with rosewood fretboard and the 100% koa KoAloha with koa fretboard (the blond looking fretboard, which I think is koa)?
    I have heard people say that fretboard material does impact the tone and volume of a ukulele. This may contribute to some ukes sounding duller or brighter than others. That said, I have not experienced any noticeable differences with KoAlohas. Both of my KoAlohas have Koa fretboards, but I have played their rosewood models. All sound about the same to me. That said, KoAloha is noted for how consistent their sound is across their models.

Best advice is to play before you buy. If you can't then ask the sales person his or her opinion. You will be satisfied with either, though.
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

If you hear a difference between two Koaloha tenors, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fretboard material.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

the type of fretboard use is completely irrelevant IMO. its all cosmetics. maybe 1.5% impact the overall "tone". i think youre question should be, which is more comfortable to play , now thats a wjhole another ballgame.

fretboard material has a pretty big impact on guitar tone, so maybe less on a shorter neck like a soprano uke, maybe slightly more on a tenor... but ya, it does do something even if not noticeable to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    If you hear a difference between two Koaloha tenors, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fretboard material.
    +1 on this. The string rests on the metal fret. It does not come in contact with the fretboard.

the string is also tied to the bridge and has no contact with the soundboard... just saying
    (ducking to avoid thrown objects)

Quote Originally Posted by benjoeuke View Post
    the string is also tied to the bridge and has no contact with the soundboard... just saying
    (ducking to avoid thrown objects)
    Whoa! Good point!! (Think I'll duck too)
    You, sir, are the devil. --Tammy
    10:32789

I read on a guitar forum that harder woods for fretboard can increase sustain. Not sure how much of a factor it is though compared to all the other factors affecting sustain.

Thread Information