Help! What's the best "advanced" tenor uke?

Hey guys,
I've been playing the uke for 3 years now and I've found out that I like tenor scale instruments best. I already own some tenor models in the mid price range (Fluke, Ohana TK50-G, Kala Color BLK, etc.) but I don't have an advanced instrument. In Germany it's difficult (if not impossible) to find such instruments to test-play. So I'll have to use mail order.

I've read some reviews, listened to some sound samples and still I don't know which instrument to decide on. Or maybe it's wiser to have a ukulele build by a luthier?? What do you think? The price shouldn't exceed $1,500 (and yes, I will have to save for this! :D )

So, the ukes I'd like to hear your opinions on are:
(If you have other, similar suggestions, please let me know!)

- COLLINGS UT-2 MAHOGANY (what's the difference towards the UT-1 model?)
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/collings-ut-2-mahogany-tenor-ukulele-and-case--UT2-MAH.htm )

- MARTIN 2K TENOR UKE, KOA STYLE 2
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/martin-2k-tenor-uke-koa-style-2-ukulele-and-gigbag--2KTENUKE.htm )

- KAMAKA HF-3
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kamaka-hf-3-tenor-ukulele-with-case--HF3.htm )

- KANILE'A K-1
(Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kanile%27a-k-1-tenor-ukulele-gloss-finish-and-case--K1T.htm)

Thanks for your help!

Dirk, First it is good to see youi posting again. I personally missed your wit and banter.

I ahve a Koaloha super concert for sell. Tenor scale:)

As far as my prefered tenors...I would assume you want handmade ones correct? Non-imports (but technically they'd all be imports for you).

My favorite tenor might be Kamaka. I prefer KoAlohas in everything but tenors. If you get a good Kamaka it is good. I'm not a Kanilea fan at all. Loprinzi makes some outstanding tenors as well.

You've played a Koaloha and liked it. I'm very surprised Koaloha isn't on your list.

I had a KoAloha Sceptre and the sound was great, but to me, not as great as the super tenor that I have. I also liked the wider neck of the Kanile'a better so I sold the Sceptre to another UU member who loves it. It was a gorgeous instrument and sounded great. It just was not comfortable in my hands.

I have the Koaloha sceptre referred to and it is a wonderful instrument, sings out loud and proud, plays effortlessly, and is extremely well made. The shape of the sceptre also fits me very well, it may not for some people. I am very happy with it. Koalohas are hard to beat.

I have a Collings UT-2 that, while impeccably well made, just doesn't quite have the sound that the Koaloha has. Don't get me wrong, if it was my only instrument, I would be a happy camper for sure. It plays easy, sounds good, and is very beautiful to behold.

However, having said all of this, Mya-Moes are my favorite overall instruments. The 7 month wait time is well worth it. Playability, sound, looks, quality construction, Mya-Moes have it all...!!! Gordon, Char, and Aaron have it nailed down in every respect.

Dirk, First it is good to see youi posting again. I personally missed your wit and banter.

I ahve a Koaloha super concert for sell. Tenor scale:)

As far as my prefered tenors...I would assume you want handmade ones correct? Non-imports (but technically they'd all be imports for you).

My favorite tenor might be Kamaka. I prefer KoAlohas in everything but tenors. If you get a good Kamaka it is good. I'm not a Kanilea fan at all. Loprinzi makes some outstanding tenors as well.

Dear John (wasn't that the title of a movie? :) ), so far I think a Kamaka HF3 would be the one I'm looking for. And it's available in Germany, too. It's probably still cheaper to order it from the states (even with tax and shipping), since there's only a single dealer in Germany and he makes use of this fact... on the other hand I might drive there and try it out personally...

It's true, I have been silent on the web for a while, caring more about other things. Fact is I'm single again and have more time on my hands now to spend on music and ukuleles. I'm also trying to put a band together here! :)

You've played a Koaloha and liked it. I'm very surprised Koaloha isn't on your list.

The Koaloha I liked best sound-wise had a pineapple body (all solid Koa) and a concert neck. It fit into a soprano case which made it ideal for traveling, too. It was the one owned by Michelle Paddy (from Brisbane, Australia) who I met at the UWC 2010. I'm with John here, I've tried a Koaloha tenor and wasn't that happy with the sound.

I have the Koaloha sceptre referred to and it is a wonderful instrument, sings out loud and proud, plays effortlessly, and is extremely well made. The shape of the sceptre also fits me very well, it may not for some people. I am very happy with it. Koalohas are hard to beat.

I have a Collings UT-2 that, while impeccably well made, just doesn't quite have the sound that the Koaloha has. Don't get me wrong, if it was my only instrument, I would be a happy camper for sure. It plays easy, sounds good, and is very beautiful to behold.

However, having said all of this, Mya-Moes are my favorite overall instruments. The 7 month wait time is well worth it. Playability, sound, looks, quality construction, Mya-Moes have it all...!!! Gordon, Char, and Aaron have it nailed down in every respect.

I'll definitely look into Mya-Moes now, too. The name has been mentioned here a lot... I'm curious now!

Aloha Dirk,

I think the question you should be asking is the question that efiscella answered for you (post #18): "What are the characteristics of your favorite tenor(s) that make it/them your favorite tenor(s)?"

I have a Kamaka HF-3, a Koaloha tenor, and a Mya-Moe myrtle tradition. Here's what I like about them:

Kamaka HF-3: It is loud and resonant, and it has what, for lack of a better term, is a traditional Hawaiian percussive sound.

KoAloha: It is a little louder than my Kamaka, and has a brighter, sharper sound, even with Worth strings.

Mya-Moe: It's also a bit louder than my Kamaka, and it sounds a bit more like a guitar than either of my other tenors (I'd say it's bright and a little "twangy," as if it's like 5 percent banjo) without losing that distinct percussive ukulele sound. What I like most about it is the feel. it's a joy to play from the standpoint of how it feels in my hands when I'm playing it. That may be partly due to the radiused neck, but there's also something about its weight and balance that feels wonderful.

Yours is a duifficut decision, especially if you can't play before buying. (Definitely go to UWC if you can and play everyone else's ukuleles! If not, maybe you can find a local ukulele group and play their ukuleles.) My first "advanced" tenor was a Kamaka, and it's still the ukulele I play the most, and it's the one I use for my Hawaiian music ukulele classes. I prefer my Mya-Moe to my KoAloha, but I've heard that the best KoAloha's are concerts and Pineapple Sundays. When I was shopping for my first advanced ukulele, I tried a Kanile'a but found that the neck gelt a little thick for my taste. (On the other hand, Kanile'a makes the only 8-string baritone out there .....)

Maybe you can get other people to post why their favorite tenor is their favorite tenor. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
It's probably still cheaper to order it from the states (even with tax and shipping), since there's only a single dealer in Germany and he makes use of this fact.
You'd save about 20 Euros and have difficult warranty.

If you can find a Kamaka for the old price it's different of course. Not sure if they are still out there, I guess not?

Alooha Dirk,
Buying a uke is easy, but finding one that fits you is not.. you need to know what you want or at least let us know
so we can help you....yes mostly as all have said it is personal preference..on sound, comfort, budget, looks
playability etc...You like a warm or bright tone or a more expensive custom with a balance tone..I could write a long
response, but it is easier if let us know...such a general question you have put forward towards us..

I own a Mya-Moe and believe it to be an excellent ukulele. I've played a Collings and found it to be excellent as well. I agree with others - play as many as you can - but also understand finding some instruments can be difficult. Heck - I went all the way to Hawaii and met with a maker but there wasn't an ukulele for me to play in stock. And, of course, your ears and my ears may be different.

I own a Mya-Moe and believe it to be an excellent ukulele. I've played a Collings and found it to be excellent as well. I agree with others - play as many as you can - but also understand finding some instruments can be difficult. Heck - I went all the way to Hawaii and met with a maker but there wasn't an ukulele for me to play in stock. And, of course, your ears and my ears may be different.

Thanks! You brought up an interesting point... our ears may be different. They probably are. :) I'll take my time making a choice, no question! Maybe it's a Mya-Moe, maybe an HF3. I have ruled out the other options. Thanks for all your replies - believe it or not, you have helped me! :)

Hmm, it would already help if you explained which brand you preferred and why. :) Maybe I should start a poll and try to find out which one is the most popular? :) I have already ruled out Kiwaya, I can say that much.

I can also say that I'd prefer a 4-stringed instrument made of Koa. However I don't care if it's fancy curly or not. And I'd prefer a glossy varnish. As to the sound, I like a mellow sound that is rich in mids and not so "crisp". It also should come with an additional saddle (one for Low-G another for High-G tuning).

Is that more specific? :)

The uke maker that I think fits your requirements is Kanile'a. Glossy finish, (best looking woods of the 3-K brands, IMO )and the sound is exactly as you described. Rich and full, not too biting. Based on the 3 "K" brands that I own, in order of "crispness" I would rate the KoAloha number one, the Kamaka number 2 and the Kanile'a number 3.

As for needing another saddle or nut for a low-G, Aquila has introduced a new unwound low-G that doesn't require the nut slot or saddle holes to be made larger to accommodate it.

Last edited:
IMO, the Kanile'a is tops for fit & finish. Now, for my winner in the tone contest................K1 again. The K1 super tenor has more depth, but so does a baritone and I don't hear the small box sound with the super tenor like I do a regular tenor. Oh, one more thing.........be sure to consider a Kanile'a. :)

A Kanliea superconcert + D'addario t2 strings = Awesomesauce. I remember back when I first got it, I didn't know if I'd ever manage that wide fretboard. Now? It's tough to live without it. I couldn't even manage tenor necks in general before getting this uke, and now it's just about the one that has molded to me.

Top Bottom