Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Mainland Strikes Again: Mango Concert

Default Team Mainland Strikes Again: Mango Concert

I had my eyes on a Mainland for months and am grateful to have gotten one. I've had it a week. This is a Mango Concert, matte finish with silver gears and amber buttons. It looks fantastic. Action and intonation are AOK.

I changed the strings to Martin M600 flourocarbons the day after I got it. I thought I'd wait longer, but I was itching. The instrument sounds remarkable with these strings - harp-like, with a balanced mid-range. The only MacGyver I had to pull was to cut a microscopic piece of eyeglass felt and lay it along the bottom of the nut groove under the G string because the thinness of the new string pinged when I wobbled it left and right. Now there's no ping (or wobble); the felt isn't visible and is thin enough so it has no adverse effect on sound.

The flourocarbons stabilize quickly, so tuning is an easy task. I got a Snark clip-on - more accurate than using the AP Tuner on my laptop or the gStrings app on Android.

I also got the Max uke case. It zips shut for travel, but the Velcro flap is nifty for day-to-day use. I'll zip it in the cold dry months and use a case humidifier.

What else? Well, let me say what everyone else who got a Mainland has said: the rope binding is A+ up close. The mango wood is equally beautiful - very natural looking. Mine has the characteristic waves in the grain and some neat little irregularities to give it character. I'm thinking because this is not highly figured or spalted, the relative straightness of the grain should make for a good strong instrument.

I'm planning to make a video in the next few weeks, but not with my crappy webcam. Meanwhile, here's an almost halfway decent photo:

Last edited by angusdegraosta; 05-01-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Angus

What the heart knows today the head will understand tomorrow.

- James Stephens, from The Crock of Gold

Congrats! Loving both the look and sound of an instrument---that's the best. Enjoy!
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

That's a good looking ukulele,Angus.

congrats! that's I nice looking slice o'mango! mmmmm.... mango, ahhhhh...

Congrats! I like my Soprano, too~ first thing I did was take off Aquilas and put on Worth Clears & it made a world of difference in the tone.
    Black Bear Sopranino Spruce/Koa~ Living Water
    Ohana Soprano SK-38 Mahogany~ Martin
    Mainland Soprano Mango~ Low G Daniel Ho

That's a beauty! Congratulations. Looks like Mainland is really making a name for itself!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I have a Mainland mango concert, too- sweet uke! I find it has a brighter tone than mahogany, and really gives it that "happy ukulele" tone. Congrats on the new acquisition!

Thanks all. I'd read all kinds of descriptions about the sound - mellow, bright, underwater. In its own way, it is both bright and mellow - closer in tone to the mahogany than the cedar, I'm thinking. Don't hear any gurgling or bubbles, though. That's probably a good thing.
    Angus

What the heart knows today the head will understand tomorrow.

- James Stephens, from The Crock of Gold

Looks great. I've been contemplating a new concert and might just have to go with the mango although I had been leaning toward the mahogany (really like the looks of the Mainland Slothead). I don't know why retailers (and maybe it's the manufacturers) insist on putting Aquilas on their solid wood ukes. I immediately change them out for some other brand, most of the time Worths but any fluorcarbon is better than the Nylguts most are using.
    My 4-String Family:
    Kamoa E3 Pineapple Soprano
    Martin S-O (given to my brother for Christmas with the stipulation he learns to play it)
    Early-70s Kamaka Soprano
    KPK Acacia Concert (given to a friend for his birthday because he wanted to learn to play ukulele)
    KPK Deluxe Long Neck Acacia Pineapple Soprano
    Gretsch Concert Resonator
    Lanikai O-8 Spruce/Ovangkol 8 String Tenor
    and various guitars

Quote Originally Posted by guitarsnrotts View Post
    Looks great. I've been contemplating a new concert and might just have to go with the mango although I had been leaning toward the mahogany (really like the looks of the Mainland Slothead). I don't know why retailers (and maybe it's the manufacturers) insist on putting Aquilas on their solid wood ukes. I immediately change them out for some other brand, most of the time Worths but any fluorcarbon is better than the Nylguts most are using.
    I have Aquilas on my Mainland and I think they sound great. To each their own.

Thread Information