Can't finger b chord. HELP

Tinklespout

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a baritone uke tuned "BDGE". I'm trying to play a b chord and no way can I get my little finger down to the fourth fret. Any ideas for me?
Thanks so much
Kim

First, I'll assume you mean DGBE. If not, you need to restring your uke.

Second, it's a hateful chord. I'm still practicing, I can't do it either, despite being able to play the E chord on my soprano without a problem. However, I can do the alternative (1402). Just. The baritone feels huuuge!

You can also do a B7, but mute the third string rather than fret it. It's the right notes, but it makes a nasty sort of "thunk" noise in the middle.

Last edited:
But whatever you do, don't give up! I remember thinking the E chord(same shape with a GCEA uke) was impossible. Now, I don't even think about it. I just played songs that had a lot of E chords. :cool:

"Hit me baby one more time" is good for this, and it gives people a laugh to watch me pretending to be Britney Spears. If you want to do it as an excercise on your baritone, it's just Em > B > G > Am > Bm in a big, daft loop. And Bm is another one that's good to practice.

Lots of tips here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...703-The-E-Chord-Is-there-an-alternative/page2

Last edited:
I'm trying to play a b chord and no way can I get my little finger down to the fourth fret. Any ideas for me?

Hi Kim

Assuming you're using DGBE, on a baritone it's probably easiest to do 4 4 4 7. Index finger to barre the 4th fret and the pinky to fret 7. By doing this, you can also play B7 as 4 4 4 5. These chord forms are movable, and that's another advantage - 3 3 3 6 is Bb, 5 5 5 8 is C.

Also, make sure that the action is set up rather low. Makes playing up the neck easier.

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom