Tenth Season of the Ukulele Challenge

Seriously guys, can we stop with the authorship question? (And on the man's birthday, no less. Give the poor guy a break!) Otherwise, I just might start taking credit for everything you've ever done. ;)

Again, I am happy to rebut this stuff in another thread or via PM, but this one is for the contest itself, OK?

ok, I got a good one for Earth Day from the MAN, Marvin Gaye. "Mercy Mercy Me" if I can get my work done early today, I'll try to post tonight. Is it true WS didn't really write his plays? just kidding!

Last edited:
ok, I got a good one for Earth Day from the MAN, Marvin Gaye.

Yes! There are some GOOD Earth Day songs out there, people. A quick [insert search engine of choice here] search will reveal many (not-so) hidden treasures.

As far as Shakesongs go, the world of musical theater is not exempt, but West Side Story, I'm afraid, is. Inspired-by is not enough.

Well here is my entry for this weeks season, I have written my own song, meshing both themes together, I am new to all this music stuff, so if my song is not very good please accept my apologies, that's my alibi and i'm sticking to it. My song is titled "Pessimistic global warming Willie Shakespeare Blue's "

Well here is my entry for this weeks season, I have written my own song, meshing both themes together, I am new to all this music stuff, so if my song is not very good please accept my apologies, that's my alibi and i'm sticking to it. My song is titled "Pessimistic global warming Willie Shakespeare Blue's "

Nice one Davey, love rhyming "idea" and Ikea". You can't go wrong with the rambling talking blues format, really.
Extra points for combo song and extra points for originality!

Fantastic Davey! Way to stick it to the man. I'll be listening to that over and over again.

Here's my week 10, part two, Earth Day number: this song was written by Tom Lehrer...or was it??
brought to you by coal fired electrons and exotic tonewoods

I suspect that the song was not written by Tom Lehrer since this song has such a low carbon footprint.
The academic world is fraught with contention regarding Lehrer's songs. From an ecological and environmental
viewpoint "pollution" is in direct contrast to his satirical masterpiece Poisoning pigeons in the park

We have to ask ourselves, can a man who is so concerned about pollution, have penned an ode
which takes delight in topping our feathered friends.

there is anecdotal evidence that Lehrer wrote "pigeons" after a rather heavy thunderstorm.
The rain began to fall. A large raindrop fell and hit him on the cheek. It ran down to the corner of his mouth.
He put out his tongue and tasted it. It was warm and salty. He rubbed the remainder of it away
with his fingers. He observed it was white, and that a flock of pigeons had recently flown overhead.

Such a small incident turned him into an ornithological maniac.

From an ecological and environmental
viewpoint "pollution" is in direct contrast to his satirical masterpiece Poisoning pigeons in the park

We have to ask ourselves, can a man who is so concerned about pollution, have penned an ode
which takes delight in topping our feathered friends.

there is anecdotal evidence that Lehrer wrote "pigeons" after a rather heavy thunderstorm.
The rain began to fall. A large raindrop fell and hit him on the cheek. It ran down to the corner of his mouth.
He put out his tongue and tasted it. It was warm and salty. He rubbed the remainder of it away
with his fingers. He observed it was white, and that a flock of pigeons had recently flown overhead.

Such a small incident turned him into an ornithological maniac.

Ha! Mr Lehrer even has his own urban myth! excellent.
And I am still kicking myself over not thinking of Poisoning Pigeons for the Springtime week...kick, kick, kick!

I feel like I've been missing out on the fun! These are great videos!

Here's my week 10, part two, Earth Day number: this song was written by Tom Lehrer...or was it??

Here's great footage of him playing it in Norway in the 60s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz_-KNNl-no

brought to you by coal fired electrons and exotic tonewoods
Great job my man, that was awesome loved your callypso style pickin, that was really really sweet to listen to, loved your singing as well peewee and thought that was awesome with the garbage truck adding percussion, you sure you didnt pay them to turn up ???? loved it mate, always look froward to your entries and thanks so much for the feedback on my little song great ly appreciated as ever, i was quite nervous about putting it up, but thought what the heck.
@ukuleledaddy, thanks mate so so so much for your great feedback, it always means alot to me to get such nice words said, thanks again, you and peewee have made my night and look forward to you entry or entries. once again guys thank you so much your kind words have warmed the cockles of my heart :)

that is awesome Dave! Also found the filthy despicable pollution on top of your head interesting.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears...and I will pour poison in them..here is my Stratfordian entry, mewling and puking it's way into the world: Chinese Bones.

and here's Robyn Hitchcock doing it properly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2-V-1sivA
"It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on."

peewee this is brilliant mate. What a fantastic song. Big Robyn Hitchcock fan here...so influential. You did a great job on this one, it really suited your voice perfectly

Dave, just superb. Your lyrics are powerful and intense mate, you would have been a great travelling compadre for Woody. Have you listened to many of his 'spoken-word' blues ramblings at all??? He uses some really good chord progressions too and I'm sure you'd love em. Brother keep on writing, this is GOOD, real good. Commented on YT too. Bonus points for song title of the year. :)

Top Bottom