Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High end luthier Pepe Romero comes to Haleiwa

Default High end luthier Pepe Romero comes to Haleiwa

Pepe Romero...world renowned guitar maker and now also ukulele maker visited us today and Andrew, Pepe and I had a great lunch at Opals in Haleiwa Thai food....great discussion on ukulele making
    and woods and theory of tonal qualities of wood ensued. By the way if you want a great experience in epicurean delight ask Opal to make you what he feels you will like and great ready for a inexpensive yet great dining experience....if you are ever in Haleiwa.....just check the yelp reviews on this place.....Good food. Ahhhhhhh almost as good as a great ukulele.
    askmusicguymic@theukulelesite.com
    musicguymic@aol.com
    theukulelesite.com
    808-927-7297 808-622-8000

Good food & great conversation makes for a wonderful day.

I don't know anything about Pepe Romero, but I have quick Haleiwa story.

My dad was in the Navy and back in the mid 60s, we lived in Haleiwa. I attended the elementary school there for second grade. Flash forward to 1990 when I got married and came back to the island. I was still able to find the school, church, and even the house I lived in so long ago. Flash forward again to just a couple of years ago when we had our daughters with us. I was able to show them the old house, get some shave ice, and check out the beach just northwest of town. When we stopped at the self-serve for gas, the old Hawaiian station man told me to just sit tight and he'd take care of the pumping for me. It was a simple gesture, but something I will never forget. Even on an island as touristy as Oahu can be, the aloha spirit still exists.
    Harold O.

www.HOPublishing.com
    www.WestHillsWood.com
    Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.

Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    By the way if you want a great experience in epicurean delight ask Opal to make you what he feels you will like and great ready for a inexpensive yet great dining experience....if you are ever in Haleiwa.....just check the yelp reviews on this place.....Good food. Ahhhhhhh almost as good as a great ukulele.
    Is it as good as a greasy slice of pizza pie on the wooden tables in front of Spaghettini's? lol
    Martin Sopranos: 0M: 30, 64 ---
    1M: 22Dit, 23Dit, 24Dit, 49, 55--1K 26
    2M: 22, 23Dit, 23Dit, 49, 60, 12 --- 2K: 25, 12
    3M: 25, 48, 55x2, 12(ch) 3K: 29
    The Gibsons: Styles 2&3 28;1&2&3x3 27;UB1 25
    Tonk American 28; Favilla 55; Smeck Vita 30; Kamaka Gold Deluxe 60
    Kiwaya Thinline KS-0P Soprano; Gretsch American 30
    Covered Bridge Honduran Hog tenor
    Pono Maple Tenor, BE Acacia Bari & MS Sop

Can't say..I have eaten there but I had the rack of lamb....for the greasy pizzia I have no clue. Great place
    musicguymic@aol.com
    theukulelesite.com

I only eat at Giovanni Shrimp Truck when I go to Haleiwa

Pepe the luthier is a junior. Pepe the senior is one of the best classical guitarists ever.

Any spruce and Brazilian ukes coming from Pepe?

I am starring at two as described
    musicguymic@aol.com
    theukulelesite.com

Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    I am starring at two as described
    MGM, for those of us who haven't seen his work, can you describe it a little? Pepe is known as a Classical & Flamenco guitar builder, how does that influence his ukes? Is there more space between the strings for playing finger style? If so, do they strum well? How do the Spruce & Rosewood ukes sound? He has really captured my attention and I am in the market for a high-end uke. Can you name some luthiers whose his work compares? I always worry about guitar builders coming to the uke as they typically come with too much bracing or too thick of woods and kill the sound. For his asking prices, I want to be sure it is worth the money. What says the most honorable and knowledgeable MGM?
    Mahalo!
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

Thread Information