I got wood!!!

TCK

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of posts on here about getting a Mya Moe going- in my estimation, rightfully so.
I went the the Napa Uke thing and met Gordon and Char- played the Mya for all of three minutes (stupid shirt choice-BIG buttons), came home and told the wife to sell EVERYTHING-I was getting one.
So I started a can of money- every bit of change I could scrape up. The Mya-Moe can. Melissa eventually replaced it with a ceramic owl bank which we decided was better.
I changed my bank account to a bank that allowed me to more easily funnel money into savings.
I bought cheap liquor.
I did it- I saved up enough for a Mya Moe and suddenly realized I had spent six months of my life looking at the web site and had no idea what I wanted...argh. Kept saving- in fact, saved enough for two of the buggers and still had no clue. One night the urge struck...I sat down like any other night and looked again. I had decided it had to be a resonator, in spite of the fact that I have played one and it sounded terrible to me (it was an all brass National...needs some wood). I decided (and this was hard) that is had to be a tenor. I like Concert better for strumming, but I finger pick on tenor every time.
That fateful night I decided on the wood. Curly Cherry back and sides (could not see going really fancy- who would see it?) and a sitka top.
Sent my money off and looked at my build by date and groaned.
AUGUST 28th? $&%($)@$@)!!!
In any event- at least after all that, it has begun-
This is my wood.
It is like no other wood.
Char calls it birdie, because the dots remind of her bird tracks in the snow...and I paint a little bird on everything I make or own. Seemed perfect.
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=822&submit=Track
Now- I know most of you could care less, but your a supportive lot and I am seriously chewing through the walls waiting on her, so just work with me OK? She already has a name- Lulu...after the Carter Family song, because she is an aggravatin' beauty :)
Am I done- nope. Got the bank going for a Hive next...do not tell my wife.

I'm not with the couldn't care less crowd! This is great news....a great builder, a great uker....I can't wait to see the photos or your finished ukulele!

August is just around the corner brother! It will give you motivation to play like crazy to be ready for that May Moe!!

Ooh oh a mya moe. I am so happy and excited for you. The wood is really nice and a resonator sounds perfect for you.

Such a lovely piece of wood!
I'm sure you'll enjoy every step of the way of your project.
I'm looking forward to getting mine started in a few days.

Congrats on your wood selection. Your build date probably feels a long way out but it will be here before you know it. My build begins in a little over two weeks and the time actually flew by since I put down money for a start date last October. I remember when I received the email re: the wood and then saw a picture of it posted to my build page - everything became a little more "real" then and it was exciting. Anyway, good luck with the wait and congrats again.

TCK, I'm definitely not with the "couldn't care less" crowd. I also played a few Mya-Moes at the 2011 Napa festival (Char actually remembered me from the 2010 Napa festival because I had bought some Victoria Vox CDs and Victoria was using the Mya-Moe booth), including the famous #500, and I plunked down my deposit that day, securing a build start date of late February 2012. I went through the same wood selection process, ending up with a striped myrtle tenor known as #635. So I understand the angst of decisionmaking, the bigger angst of having to wait so long for the build to start, and the joy and anticipation of having ordered a Mya-Moe. Congratulations!

That's awesome dude! I think most people on here would be excited to hear one of their own is getting a kick ass instrument. As for me, there's no way the wife would let me get a custom... At least not in the next 5-10 years. So I have to satisfy my high end UAS vicariously through other members so for that, I thank you.

I care brother. Deeply. :p You got wood alright brother. Any man who's out hawking the fork needs good wood. It's a happy day in Cloverdale. :)

TCK, the cherry is beautiful. It'll be a fabulous instrument!

Like the others, I am really thrilled you pulled the plug on a MM. I was blessed to buy a slightly used MM tenor #461, Master grade Blue Pond Myrtle and love it. The action and playabilty of the neck is like non other I've tried. Really looking forward to seeing it. The wood looks really cool, you picked well.

That's going to be a super uke! Congratulations in advance - you'll love it. I must be patient - my MM will be finished in November - such anticipation!

Congrats on pulling the trigger on your Mya Moe. I am sorely tempted to get in the que for a tenor resonator myself. August will be here before you know it. You know how fast summer goes by!

Very nice, Dave.

Of course, when I saw the thread heading, I just assumed that you were excited about something...

I guess you were. (g)

Best wishes with the Reso - I hope to one day get together with you and we can do some serious strumming! (I might make it to Los Gatos in July, and we'll see how my arm is doing, whether I can play again by then, or not.)

-Kurt​

If you can keep getting wood, count yourself as lucky.

She's got nice little birdie tracks

Enjoy the anticipation. Of course, you'll be beyond words once it is in your hands but anticipation is sometimes half the fun.

Seems to be a lot of posts on here about getting a Mya Moe going- in my estimation, rightfully so.
I changed my bank account to a bank that allowed me to more easily funnel money into savings.
I bought cheap liquor.

Are you still buying cheap liquor? Maybe an upgrade there will make the wait for this "aggravatin' beauty" a little easier.

Congratulations on reaching for your dream uke.

The cherry is awesome. I'm not really sure why more builders don't use cherry. It is a sweet looking wood even the straight grained plain stuff and it sounds pretty nice and bright. Thank you for letting many of us live vicariously through you :)

Top Bottom