Folding Ukulele Build

grandpoobah

Reaction score
So here is it. My first build. I'm working with the folding ukulele kit found here. http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/17771/laser-cut-folding-ukulele-by-brian-chan.html

The whole thing is basically two sheets of laser cut bamboo. It all fits together in a sort of jigsaw puzzle. Obviously, considering that it is made from bamboo plywood, I don't have high expectations for the sound quality. Honestly, it just seemed like fun. I'll post some pics during the build process and the completed product. Since its my first build, feedback is appreciated.

Now lets get started! Attached are the first pics. The kit itself, and the first work on the neck and bracing for the body. I am doing two parts at once so I can let glue dry

Attachments

• 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 238
It may sound crazy, but I'm very excited about seeing this project go forward!!!

All I can say is that if you ever liked working with lego or erector sets, you should take to this build pretty well. All this is being done on my kitchen table.

I'm going to try to throw the rest of the body together tonight. The biggest hurdle is the amount of time to let glue dry. There are loads of tiny pieces that all need to dry before you can proceed. I have like twenty of these tiny clamps and I still keep running out!

I'm looking forward to pictures of the build, and some pics of your creations out of the vegetarian cookbook......

Sorry, no veggie dishes yet, but here are some more build pics. One thing to consider if you're contemplating the build: The instructions have you put the bracing together and then put the soundboard on top of the completed bracing. If I were to do this again I would build the bracing directly on the soundboard. I had a tough time fitting the bracing into the soundboard because the bracing wasn't exactly square to 90 degrees at every joint. Building right on the soundboard would avoid this issue.

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 166
I hope this is not breaking any etiquette rules:

Bump/request for updates?

I hope this is not breaking any etiquette rules:

Bump/request for updates?

Lol. No worries. It's been a busy week so I haven't had a chance to work on it. I'm planning on having it to the point where I can get some strings on it over the weekend.

Here it is! Its all glue up and with some Martin strings on it. At the moment, it sounds like @#$@. The biggest problem is the fretboard. It needs to be leveled. My current plan is to sand across the top and see what frets have the most contact with the sandpaper. Then resand each fret to correct the break angle on the wood. I am open to different approaches if there is a better way.

Also there is still some sanding work to be done on the corners of the body and to clean up some glue.

Next major issue is that this thing needs a finish. It needs one that will keep the wood from splintering. Splintering is a BIG problem with this wood. I'm interested in hearing any thoughts on how to do this to the fretboard. It needs to be protected from splintering, but I don't want a massively thick finish on it that will change the height or alter the intonation. Amazingly, the intonation is spot on!

Last step will be to cut a saddle out of tusq. I happen to have blanks that will fit, and the plywood on it is crud.

Interesting note to anybody considering making this: Don't make the pegs the way they suggest (glue two pieces together and file the corners down). Best method is to glue the two pieces together and wrap the tip of the peg in sandpaper. Then get a string winder and spin for dear life, checking the fit every minute or two. They came out perfect.

Here are the updated pics. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 156
Just a quick followup... six months later how do you feel about the ukelele? Do you still play it?

Bump / update: What do you think of it re: sound & playability? Is it worth the money? Should I abandon my folding-uke lust?

Hi, I am very impressed with this project, can you share the file for me?

Top Bottom