Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which pick-up???

Default Which pick-up???

Ok so I'm needing to pick a pick-up so to speak to go into my soon to be ukulele. Question is, which pick-up should I go for? The builder has told me to research them so this is part of it! Does anyone have experience of more than one? Anyone know what the pro's use? I seem to remember fishman matrix is in Jakes ukulele, I'm also considering K&K twin spot, LRbaggs 5-0 and Mi-si. Which sound is the truest (is that even a word?) You guys know what I mean right? Any advice gratefully recieved.
    "Make a decision to have a great day and follow through, misery is optional"

"LRbaggs 5-0 and Mi-si. Which sound is the truest".....supposedly, 5.0 is a ukulele dedicated pickup and should be a little bit superior to the MiSi (first cousin?)
    A custom, go for the one you think you'll be happiest in the long run. Lots of great sounding ukes out without either of those pickups, but installation costs will be about the same whichever one you chose. Good luck...talk to luthier about top, wood, expected tone(s), etc. He should be able to give you some insights based on what you expect from your instrument.

I have Mi-Si's in my ukes. Haven't heard the 5.0. The big thing is what comes after it. Once I got the Baggs paracoustic DI, everything came together tonally, and I feel like I can handle almost any amp/PA situation (and board operator) that comes along.
    Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana - Two octaves and the truth!

http://www.youtube.com/ukecantdothat

Quote Originally Posted by ukecantdothat View Post
    I have Mi-Si's in my ukes. Haven't heard the 5.0. The big thing is what comes after it. Once I got the Baggs paracoustic DI, everything came together tonally, and I feel like I can handle almost any amp/PA situation (and board operator) that comes along.
    Ok, whats the baggs paracoustic DI?? I'm hopeless at this stuff. Doesn't the mi-si come with an LRbaggs? I'm a bit confused by it all to be honest. I've seen a couple of reviews on these, one demoing the mi-si in which the guy says it comes with an LR Baggs and another comparing it to an LR Baggs???? Is it a newer version with the 5 0?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    "LRbaggs 5-0 and Mi-si. Which sound is the truest".....supposedly, 5.0 is a ukulele dedicated pickup and should be a little bit superior to the MiSi (first cousin?)
    A custom, go for the one you think you'll be happiest in the long run. Lots of great sounding ukes out without either of those pickups, but installation costs will be about the same whichever one you chose. Good luck...talk to luthier about top, wood, expected tone(s), etc. He should be able to give you some insights based on what you expect from your instrument.

Thanks Phil, much appreciated mate.

I just ordered an LR Baggs 5.0 so I should know how it is when it comes in and I get it installed. I had my guitar man order it and he will install it for me. All my acoustic guitars have LR Baggs in them and I really like them. I'm expecting the same from the 5.0 hopefully. I haven't decided which uke to start with. I was going to get 2 and put one in my Kamaka HF-3 and one in my Bluegrass Low G tenor but I thought I would see how I like the one before ordering anymore and I'm going to start with the HF-3. I'll reply back on this thread as soon as its ready and let you know what I think.

Para DI is a preamp but the Misi and 5.0 should have a built in one. However, the Para DI is nice because it has EQ functions and control feedback, brilliance, volume, etc. It's about $160 so that means you are spending about $300 just for the equipment.

I have a Fishman Prefix Pro in one of my ukes and I like it because it controls similar things like the Para DI directly on the uke. However, you need a uke that is deep enough to fit and it's heavy cuz it uses 9V battery. The weight doesn't bother me as the uke rests on my lap when playing sitting down and use a strap when standing. I wouldn't recommend it as it's about $300 so unless you are performing and need direct control, it's too pricey in my opinion.
    Last edited by Dan Uke; 04-27-2012 at 03:20 PM.

I think I'm going to post a thread for advice on which uke to put my pickup in.

I got to meet Daniel Ho last month and I asked what he used and he told me Mi-Si because of its convenience. I don't think he is sponsored by them.

As far as the truest sound, Pepe Romero claims "the best is made by Schertler, it's the Resocoil model. It is a tiny microphone that is glued to the underside of the bridge. It produces a perfectly natural sound. Also it does not hurt the sound of the ukulele when played un amplified. It is very light weight as well." The problem is the price of the pickup is $400.

I guess it is up to you and what you are doing with it. For my custom I chose a Mi-Si. If it's good enough for Daniel and affordable, then that is good enough for me! I will never go on tour, so I should be fine...
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Tigeralum2001 View Post
    I will never go on tour, so I should be fine...
    Famous last words

Look forward to seeing you on tour some day lol.

Thread Information