Which ukulele for a beginner?

Without any actual experience with either uke which I'm going to assume for the sake of price and argument are probably pretty equal in terms of quality etc. (This is also assuming that fifty bucks is your current budget threshold, although your quality and choices do improve with not that much more money. )

That being said and assumed, I'd personally lean towards the Kala for the simple reason that the instrument you'd be receiving had been looked over and set up to be played with a fresh set of quality strings by Musicguymic who knows what he's doing and is someone who actually plays rather than something with a factory set coming straight from a warehouse. That alone is more than enough.

Plus Mike's a stand up guy. and he provides good service and he's got a new uke to support.

I would opt for the Kala from MGM, he'll do a setup and upgrade the strings from GHS to Aquila. You might wanna call or drop him an email and maybe work out a deal for a gig bag or case.

If budget is an issue, then Kala do a budget uke called Makala, which when strung with Aquila strings, is as good as many a more expensive ukulele. Some people are put off by the dolphin bridge though. I'd recommend them as a starter uke to anyone though. Low cost, decent sound, reliable. If you're still playing after three or four months, then you'll know what you want next.

If budget is an issue, then Kala do a budget uke called Makala, which when strung with Aquila strings, is as good as many a more expensive ukulele. Some people are put off by the dolphin bridge though.

The Makalas are not all Dolphins. I have a Makala MK-SN which is strung with Aquila strings. Natural finish. Soprano size. It's a delightful starter instrument and at the price range. Whatever, I'd buy from Music Guy Mike or Mim depending on what you're looking at, get a setup thrown in at the same price. That alone is worth lots to a new player (and any player too for that matter).

Bruce in Adelaide

Top Bottom