Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IPad Questions.....anyone using it for portable recording?

Default IPad Questions.....anyone using it for portable recording?

Hello, I am wondering if any of you are using an IPad as your solution for portable music recording (for generating CD quality with external mics etc) as well as for your jams where it can display your many music songbooks and music sheets? Which apps/hardware are you using? Pros/cons? Would love to get your feedback. Thanks.

Appwise GarageBand, Alchemy soft synt, IK Sampletank soft synth/sampler
    And Peavey Ampkit for electrics. And various other apps..
    For true portable recording I use a Zoom handy recorder.
    Then work on the file in ableton.
    My iPad is more of a sketch pad idea wise.
    Although GarageBand can produce some great results. You will still need a proper workstation for final mastering.
    Hardware wise Alesis has made some docking stations for the iPad. First and foremost for us ukers is the IODock, then you might want to look at the Ampdock as well from the same company.
    If all you're looking for is a single instrument input Apogee Jam is the way to go.
    Any peripherals using the jack to connect your instrument for recording will induce "crosstalk". We don't want that.
    So I find it best to use the dock connector and use the headphone jack for monitoring.
    The biggest weakness to the iPad is the severe lack of easy multitasking.
    I will still use my iPad for recording. But primarily as an effects chain. The CPU on the iPad is significantly more powerful than the cheap DSP chips in various multi effects. So the quality of the effects should be quite good.
    I will do a comparison when I find the time..
    Jupiter Creek Steel string ukulele soprano/concert,
    Harley Benton Eleuke Tenor Natural glossy,
    Eleuke Peanut , Cordoba 20CM Mahogany Concert, Yamaha GL1
    Morgan St-1 (rewired with 1 humbucker straight to jack for no noise or hum), Hohner steel string acoustic guitar, Harley Benton Banjo 5 string
    Roland Micro Cube (2watt amp with lots of amp sims and effects, LOUD 2 watts though), iPad2 loaded with music apps(basically setup as a portastudio), Laptop setup as a DAW...

Well I'm sure I don't meet the criteria for "proper workstation", but yes, yes you can.

Blue Snowball Mic into the USB Camera Connection kit
    Garageband for iPad

From there you're really done unless you really want to get fiddly with the final mastering, in which case you can share the file with Garageband on your computer. That's how I did a song that we're hoping people are going to pay for on iTunes, to raise money for charity. The response of people testing it has been positive.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

I've grown to accustomed to Ableton over time.
    It's been my go to DAW for a few years.
    But I'll have to give GarageBand a little more then.

Plainsong..
    What version of iOS are you running?
    Because correct me if I'm wrong here.
    Didn't APPLE in their infinite wisdom decide to lower the power out on the dock connection.
    Thereby rendering most bus powered accessories unusable?
    If the camera connection kit still works as it did previously I will have to get one..
    Morgan St-1 (rewired with 1 humbucker straight to jack for no noise or hum), Hohner steel string acoustic guitar, Harley Benton Banjo 5 string
    Roland Micro Cube (2watt amp with lots of amp sims and effects, LOUD 2 watts though), iPad2 loaded with music apps(basically setup as a portastudio), Laptop setup as a DAW...

Wow. That (above) is the most informative post on this subject that you could hope for. Brilliant.

@tjomball: I have many, many questions regarding mobile recording using iOS and my ukulele and now, like it or not, you're the person I'll be asking.

Cheers,
    Ash

By all means.. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

For portable songbook use, I have the New iPad + The Gig Easy (holder) + small mic stand + Air Turn (bluetooth foot switch) + OnSong app. With the iPad on the stand, you can use it as a tripod to shoot video from one of the cameras.

–Lori

Here's another iPad holder that will clamp on a mic stand (table, whatever)

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

I've seen the foot switch. And the mic stand holders as well.
    But then it goes from something truly portable to something more luggable if you will..
    Just my two cents.
    But I absolutely see the use for them.
    Especially the foot switch. But I looked at it and decided to pass for the time being.
    There's got to be a less clunky way of doing that.
    And I think the foot switch fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.. Just my opinion.
    But then again design and esthetics should not affect my tech purchases.
    But f..k me I've gotten vain over the years..

Ah. I was about to get a Yeti mic and use it with my iPad via a Blue Icicle that plugs right in via the camera kit, however if you already have decent mics I found a nice alternative that even provides phantom power. It's made by Alesis and is essentially a dock that provides XLR ports.

Here is the link to the iO dock that I ended up buying. It works great so far.
    duBourg Concert (local luthier)
    Kamaka HF-1 Soprano
    KoAloha KSM-00 Standard Soprano
    Martin C1K Concert
    Mitchell MU-70 Concert

Thread Information