Sitting in the last row of the plane.

My entire intention was to distract the kid.
I figured a bit of strumming was preferable to the kid's hollering.
And hey, the kid was cool, I wasn't angry with him or dad about being noisy.
Just trying to help.

I was quite surprised about the jet induced muffling of my typically not so quiet flea.

It was the first and last time I will try it.

On a side note, the TSA guy at the xray machine joked that I needed to play a tune to get past him.
Luckily he was kidding. The whole TSA crew at John Wayne airport was the jolliest bunch I have ever encountered.

First rule of parenting (according to my grandmother): Scotch and duck tape. If it's good enough for Nana, it's good enough for me!

Skimmed the thread, didn't see it mentioned but forgive me if it was. The reason for this is very likely because aircraft cabins are often flooded with white noise for passenger comfort, and if not, the engines usually provide a level of white noise anyway. One application of white noise is for simple noise reduction and even noise cancellation - important in a vehicle full of people and attached to noisy jet engines. It's also the cause of those bad "so what is it with airline food?" jokes.

So next time you fly, pay attention to your environment: do you hear a loud wooshing sound like a nearby airconditioner? That might not just be the plane's A/C :)

First class may have different cabin sound-deadening, insulation and panels, and may have white noise played at a more pleasing frequency. I don't know. Buy me a first class ticket and I'll let you know ;)

Last edited:
Nine out of ten pediatricians traveling with their kids use Benedryl, which was a shocker to me. I had the "grandkids" this weekend along with the mom who needed to go do some school event and we just played till we crashed. Which we all did. (I'm adopted grammie to a 3 and 5 year old.) The bad moment was before lunch. Little snacks, toys, a pillow and finally, a squishy shoulder. And earplugs all 'round.

My mother, who put people to sleep for a living (she was a Nurse Anesthetist), swore by Dramamine, Benadryl, and Robitussin on plane flights. One good dose of any of those generally equals comatose kid. I have heard from my British friends that the teething gel they sell in the UK is great for this too, if the kid is really little.

Top Bottom