Fluke Firefly strings

Ben Mulleman

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Yesterday my Firefly arrived, and I have to say it's an amazing instrument. The only thing I am not too fond of is the strings.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using different strings on it? I do love the wound C string, very banjo-esque!

Is it possible at all to use classical strings with it? And if so, which strings would I have to get seperately to make it work? I'm hoping to get just a little more 'twang' out of the instrument.

Oh yes, and of course I have to show it off a little bit. A picture!
Foto0014b.jpg

Hmm, mine came with La Bellas with a wound C.
I then changed them to Aquilas but I do not enjoy the sound of them on a Firefly.

So I was wondering if there is a classical string alternative with a wound C, instead of using the La Bella ones.

Mine came with La Bellas and I didn't like them - much prefer Aquilas, but that goes to show there is no right or wrong string.

I too would be interested in alternativez

Mine came with La Bellas and I didn't like them - much prefer Aquilas, but that goes to show there is no right or wrong string.

I too would be interested in alternativez

For now I've put a set of D'addario J65's on it. Not perfect but they sound a bit sharper, compared to Aquilas anyways (to my ears).

Also I was wondering, what material is best used for stuffing? I'm trying to dampen the sound a little bit so I can play at night but it's not working.

Also I was wondering, what material is best used for stuffing? I'm trying to dampen the sound a little bit so I can play at night but it's not working.

Lots of options. Foam rubber, a sponge, a sock (preferably clean), a samll ball of yarn..

You basically have to keep trying until you find what sounds best to you - just like strings.

When I got my Firefly last year - S/N #22 - it had Aquilas, with a wound G on it. I like the sound just fine - punchy and twangy when I want it, quiet and subdued when I want that. See my "Somebody Robbed The Glendale Train video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ7bgXTFls - part of the "My Favorite Train Song" thread, here on UU.

I have Aquila banjo Uke strings with the unwound G on my Stella (The old formula Nylgut strings), and they also sound fine to me.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom