wants to learn UKE

Get a copy of Ukulele for Dummies

Hello Sophia!

I am a beginner too and i am playing this instrument for two weeks. I searched a lot, and found that the Ukulele for Dummies works best for me. Just follow that book, don't get distracted as there are information overdose out there. In between you can look at Uncle Rods bootcamp for some practice. The main mantra is practice daily, just spend 20-30 minutes at least and you will add a skill under your sleeves in no time. Happy playing.

Learning the ukulele

This site is so important because there is so much information out there that it’s easy to be overwhelmed and give up. Just start slow and practice practice...

This forum isn’t the best place to learn ukulele from a position of a beginner. We’re all happy to answer questions... but you have to beware about what you ask as you will often get more than you bargained for.

I would certainly point you to Ukulele Underground—not the forum, but the actual organization that teaches lessons and so on...just visit ukuleleunderground.com and you will get there.

Otherwise , I’d also point you to many of Cynthia Lin’s lessons or Ukulele Mike’s lessons that are on YouTube. If you navigate to their channels, there likely playlists that will help you find the lesson materials you are looking for.

If I had to do it again, I'd start with a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Ukulele" by David Hodge and "Ukulele Aerobics" by Chad Johnson, and stick to just those for a few months. For a video course, I'd go with The Ukulele Way by James Hill, and avoid watching too many other videos. (I have no experience with the UU+ courses.)

But many roads lead to Rome.

eMedia makes a Ukulele Method that looks awesome. I learned a bit of guitar years ago using their Guitar Method and it was amazing. I'm a bit too far along for the uke method but I highly recommend it to new players.

Top Bottom