Any Canadian playing hockey and uke?

Vladim

Reaction score
Hello from Russia!

Do you watch the World championships 2012? Your team's doing great! I hope we'll meet at the final.

How Canadians regard the World championships? We appreciate them a lot but I've heard it's not like that in Canada.

It may be hard to get a lot of enthusiasm for the Hockey World Cup with the Stanley Cup playoffs currently in the conference finals.

By the way, Go Kings Go!

Congratulations Russia. I am not Canadian but at almost 60 years old, I still try to get out every winter and play a little bit of outdoor hockey. I do also play the uke but I have not tried hockey and the uke at the same time which has now become a goal of mine for this winter.

Congratulations Russia. I am not Canadian but at almost 60 years old, I still try to get out every winter and play a little bit of outdoor hockey. I do also play the uke but I have not tried hockey and the uke at the same time which has now become a goal of mine for this winter.

Thank you very much! I wish I could play hockey when I'm sixty. Please, don't try hockey and the uke at the same time.))) I have fears about the little fellow being on the ice.)))

It may be hard to get a lot of enthusiasm for the Hockey World Cup with the Stanley Cup playoffs currently in the conference finals.

By the way, Go Kings Go!

It's a pity those tournaments can't be separated in time. Yeah, no hockey competetion can be compared to NHL play-offs.
Sorry, I support Devils. They have Kovalchuk, you know.

Back in 1980, when the world was very different, the US met the Soviets in the Olympic hockey final. Not having Canadians' history and enthusiasm for the sport, Americans had long ignored hockey...until this event. People were thrilled.

Where I lived then, the gold-medal match occurred on Sunday morning. I was in church and was surprised that the man next to me (whom I didn't know) was listening to the broadcast with an earpiece (not MP3 earphones) to a transistor radio. (Americans generally only do that sort of thing for football.) The win occurred during the service, and it was THE topic of conversation as the people filed out. They shook hands with the minister but talked about our team, which no one had paid attention to before.

These two sports sure are complementary. You don't need ANY of your front teeth to play ukulele :)

Take it from someone with a crown. Lots of them.

Back in 1980, when the world was very different, the US met the Soviets in the Olympic hockey final. Not having Canadians' history and enthusiasm for the sport, Americans had long ignored hockey...until this event. People were thrilled.

Where I lived then, the gold-medal match occurred on Sunday morning. I was in church and was surprised that the man next to me (whom I didn't know) was listening to the broadcast with an earpiece (not MP3 earphones) to a transistor radio. (Americans generally only do that sort of thing for football.) The win occurred during the service, and it was THE topic of conversation as the people filed out. They shook hands with the minister but talked about our team, which no one had paid attention to before.
Great story. I'm glad our team wakened interest in hockey in the States. It doesn't matter we lost the game.
It's like a symbolic returning of the debt to the continent where the sport has begun.

I remember watching that match. But if I remember correctly, it wasn't the Gold Medal match. That was between the US and Finland. This was the qualifier.

I remember because I was one of the few geeks in LA back then who even knew what hockey was. When I was a kid, all my friends' dads would take them to the Dodger or Rams games, but my dad took me to Kings games in the Fabulous Forum. I remember watching players like Vachon and Dionne wearing that garish purple and gold.

At least as memorable as that 1980 USA - CCCP match was the 1972 Canada - CCCP series, which was (I think) the very first of it's kind. Now that was an incredible event. I was only a sprig back then, but even at a tender age of 8, I rember only getting to watch one game, but it was intense. Guys like Mahovlich, Esposito, Clarke, and Dryden.

Woah. Flashback.

Top Bottom