14th Season Of Uke: "Get On The Bike With Ike"

H

Hippie Dribble

CHALLENGE:

record a song performed and/or recorded by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards. If you think jazz era, vaudeville and showtunes you're in the ball park. Most of his great recordings were made between 1920and the mid 1940's. Edwards was a legendary performer, gifted with a jaw dropping and chameleon like voice, coupled with a ukulele virtuosity refined over years of live playing. He was also recruited by Disney for several films, 'Pinnochio' notable among them and became the enduring voice of Jiminy Cricket. The list of quality songs in the Ike canon is mindblowing...

PERAMETERS:

* one take, no overdubs
* ukulele front and centre
* state in your clip that the recording is for the "14th season of uke: Get on the Bike with Ike"
* multiple versions of the same song are OK (I have an idea for a future seasons comp where we all have to do the same song)

JUDGING CRITERIA:

* we have 5 judges for this comp, all crazy Cliff Edwards fans: myself, eugenie, drbekken, TCK and Camsuke...
hopefully this will afford us a fair result.

points awarded in the following criteria:

* Playing /15
* Singing /15
* Overall performance: your ability to sell the song (camera presence; personality; creative flair; x-factor etc...) /10
* Set and Costume /10

for a total score out of a possible 50 points from each judge. We will collate our scores for final results.
I hope to do a critique video as well.

* 3 BONUS POINTS IF YOUR CLIP FEATURES A BIKE!!!

RESOURCES:

I understand this is perhaps a tough challenge, but I guess the 'seasons' has always been about growing, stretching ourselves as players and performers, so this week is no exception.

Here are some links which may or may not assist:

* http://www.redhotjazz.com/cliffedwards.html
* http://www.musicvf.com/Cliff+Edwards.art
* the sites Alligator Boogaloo; doctoruke; scorpex may have some chord charts though I'm not certain....try googling them
* http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB612DCBDF0435B86&feature=plcp
* in addition, if there is a particular song you'd like to play but can't find chords etc let me know and me or doc may be able to help

PRIZES:

1st place: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1632
My handpainted mahalo ukulele. It's very rough but has a bit of rustic charm about it I guess. Strung with worth clears and sounds pretty OK. OR you can have a 1950's Harmony soprano uke if you'd rather. It's in excellent condition. Your choice!
2nd: Cliff Edwards compilation album "Singin In The Rain"
3rd: book/cd Ian Whitcomb: "The Cat's Meow"

PARTING SHOTS:

* closing date is Sunday week May 27 @ 11.59pm Hawaiian Time.
* Thanks folks, hope you have fun with this weeks theme. Cliff Edwards is a great hero of mine right up there next to Pete Seeger and this is a great opportunity to give some love up for a gloriously charismatic and uber-skilled musician and entertainer. Hope you jump on your bikes and come along for the ride. Any questions PM me or put them up in the thread itself. Happy Ikeing all, blessings :)

eugene

Last edited:

like this?

Last edited:
maybe about fat bottom girls...

C'mon y'all'

Don't go on strike
Or take a hike
Or even catch a pike,

Just grab a mic
And hop on your trike
With Ike.

You like?

:p

Good one, now I have to learn that song that we were talking about on that other thread...hope I can find the time. Thanks!!

Pity the bike theme was droped.

Here is a bike ride I took earlier. It involves a slipped gorrilla pod shot of
my crotch, a pregnant woman, a race with a bus, a near disaster with a dug
up pavement, bongos, tabla, a L. Cohen song, and the glorious Finnish summer.

How about extra points if we feature a bike?

Hmmm...something just occured to me. "Bike" is short for "bicycle" - wouldn't that make "uke" short for "unicycle?" If so I think that anybody who enters this contest playing a Ukulele Ike song on a uke while riding a unicycle should definitely get bonus points because that would be "playing Ike on a uke on a uke" - so the score should be squared or something...

John

If you chip in on the medical cost, I'll give it a shot!

Hmmm...something just occured to me. "Bike" is short for "bicycle" - wouldn't that make "uke" short for "unicycle?" If so I think that anybody who enters this contest playing a Ukulele Ike song on a uke while riding a unicycle should definitely get bonus points because that would be "playing Ike on a uke on a uke" - so the score should be squared or something...

John

Top Bottom