14th Season Of Uke: "Get On The Bike With Ike"

I'm dusting off my turntable! I have three vintage Ukulele Ike records - 45 songs altogether. If anyone has a song and would like to hear it done by Ukulele Ike himself (and can't find it on YouTube) PM me and if I have it I'll send it to you. I also have chords for 32 songs from a Ukulele Ike uke book-if your song is in there I can send chords.
And to get you all in the mood for Season 14:

Last edited:
Oh lady be good

I got on my bike for Ike!

Side by side

This was a song that my father used to sing. I did not know where he picked it up from.
It was just a song from his past. I was surprised to find it had been done by Cliff Edwards.
He did it as an uptempo song, but given the economic crisis in Greece and Spain,
and the doom and gloom surrounding the Euro I thought it better to do it slow.

Naw I like to sing things slow anyways.

Last edited:
I got on my bike for Ike!
great playing doug, and loved your bike, I gots a bent too, a Rans rocket. went on a bike tour recently and a guy played guitar on the back of a Rans tandem the whole way, really ate up the miles, but they were slow.

@ukuleledaveey
Thanks, UD. That's my little Thoreau inspired cabin, built it myself. :)

@strumsilly
Mine's a Rans F5, I commute 15 miles a day, otherwise I hardly ever ride it. It's almost impossible to ride hands-free, otherwise I would have tried playing uke as I rode by. :)

@wee_ginga_yin
Thanks, and thanks for the HR link, I'd never heard of him before. Here in the states we call such contraptions, Rube Goldberg devices.

This was a song that my father used to sing. I did not know where he picked it up from.
It was just a song from his past. I was surprised to find it had been done by Cliff Edwards.
He did it as an uptempo song, but given the economic crisis in Greece and Spain,

There's a real art to playing songs slowly, and you've mastered it.

Great song Wee_ginga :) that reverb gives your uke the slight sound of the old honky tonk pianos,if i have the right name, you know the ones in the saloons of the old b&w western films, sounds good though, didnt Flannagan and allen sing that song as well. :)

Great song Wee_ginga :) that reverb gives your uke the slight sound of the old honky tonk pianos,if i have the right name, you know the ones in the saloons of the old b&w western films, sounds good though, didnt Flannagan and allen sing that song as well. :)

Yeah I have cooked up some settings on Garbage-band that I call "old time scratchy hiss"
that gives the Uke a beat up barroom piano sound. I have employed it to a lesser degree on
a few other Cliff Edwards songs I have recorded before. Those old records had lots of scratch and hiss
on them, and that is what I am trying to aim at... make a modern day recording sound like it was old.
The video would also need to have a more distressed look as well.

Regarding the song somebody commented on th YT side that it quite often featured on the radio
on a programme called "Sing something simple"

Your recording sounds like an old 78 to my ears---perfect. Shifting Edwards' jaunty swing down a few gears works great as well. Very nice, Rob. Gracias.

That sweet, sparse rhythm of yours works so well with this sweet song, Doug. And wait, you made both the uke and the cabin?! Judges, max out this gentleman's 'setting' score, please.

Thanks, Ralf. And I made that chair, too! :)

I always loved this song and was the one I was going to do. I was listening to another version which has a few more verses, so I may do it anyway , and use the other verses since I've been practicing it. if you don't mind. I promise it won't be as good as yours.

Top Bottom