Tenor Uke to be tuned like a Tenor Banjo....maybe.?

1931jim

Reaction score
Hello experienced family,
First a little preamble.....I sold my Lanikai LU-21 TE/BK ukulele to my neighbour who plays tenor banjo. He bought it because he wanted an instrument with nylon strings and a pickup. Now he wants it tuned like a banjo so he doesn't have to learn new chord shapes.
So we are going from gCEA with Aquilas .026, .040, .031, and top A of .027 to a Banjo tuning CGDA. The banjo is tuned in 5ths and the only tone common to both the uke and banjo is the top A .027 string. The uke E will drop to D no problem but the .040 uke C string is the ticklish problem. Also the reentrant becoming a C bottom string for the banjo tuning.
I can make a new nut so that will not be a problem but and it is a big But....my research from D'Addario only lists banjo strings (steel with a top A .012)
I don't want the bridge to fly off, so what do you recommend or perhaps a suggestion to find more info. There does not seem to be any banjo players using nylon strings however. HaHa!!
Regards
Jim
PS: More thinking....if I use a Baritone uke G string for the banjo G and move the .040 to the banjo C I think it will work. I may not even have to make a new nut. I'm glad we had this little chat doc. HaHa!!

Last edited:
I think Southcoast sells a set that is designed to be tuned in 5ths. Not sure if it is for tenors.

I think Southcoast sells a set that is designed to be tuned in 5ths. Not sure if it is for tenors.

We do - it's our Linear String Set in 5ths - it can be used on a Tenor Ukulele - on that scale it sets up in key of C, or CGDA.

Thank you peewee and Dirk for acknowledging my query. One question for Dirk please. Will I have to ease the nut for the low C.?
I will explore your Southcoastukes site and find the gauges of the Linear String Set in 5ths. Again many thanks.
Jim
PS: Dirk I have just checked out your very informative writings on the ' Tenor Ukulele in 5ths' .

Last edited:
Hello Jim,

We took a lot of time and trouble with this set - 5ths tuning with classical strings is tricky. The range (5 notes apart) means that your 1st and 4th strings are much different animals compared to what a ukulele set would give.

We had to try to get a 1st string that wouldn't be so thin as to be prone to breakage (check) and at the other end, find a 4th string that wouldn't be some unmanageable, squeaky monster. Check on that as well. Our material manages to be fairly thin, give good tension, and still not have that high metallic content of something like a Baritone Uke string. It's polished on top of that, so while it squeaks, it's nothing like you might expect.

I actually don't have the dimension on the 4th string, but I'd be very surprised if any adjustment would be neccesary. It's smaller than a typical ukulele 3rd string.

Top Bottom