Right this minute, where are your ukes?

One of them is at the KoAloha factory, the other four are in their humidity controlled cabinet. Though I'm about to take one out to play. :)

My vintage S.S. Stewart is next to my chair, the Pono, Ohana, and Flea are in their cases in the study. If I had any in my bedroom my wife would castrate me!

one next to the bookcase in the lounge room, one under the bed, one hanging by the dunny and another next to me here at the computer...a few colored ones lying about in various indiscriminant, miscellaneous and top secret locations. My daughter's in in it's case in the library

Tenor neck Fluke and Lanikai CK Baritone (DGBE) on the futon near me. Concert Surf Flea on the hanger in the living/dining room, Kala Acacia Tenor on a stand under it. Martin SO leaning up in a chair near them. Everything else in the case in the Music Room or in the living room.

Two are hanging on my living room wall, one is in my office again hanging on the wall and one is in its case in the dining room table

A Makala tenor next to me on a guitar stand as I type this.
A red Disney "Cars" plastic soprano about eight feet away leaning against a bookcase (I think I'll play that one tonight).
A homemade concert sized box ukulele on top of the same bookcase.
I think I need a couple more...

All three are within arms reach in my "Great room"!

Now I'm curious... how do you function? Just sit on the floor?

Yes, most of the time. We have floor cushions and back rests (basically a chair with no legs) and small tables with legs about 8-10 inches in length. We sleep on the floor on a traditional bed called a 요 ("yo") that can be rolled or folded up. It's nice because it is very firm, warm in the winter (Korean homes generally have heated floors) and allows you to reclaim the floor space during the day.

We've had three apartments in Korea and none of them has had a closet. Most people buy either wardrobes or clothing racks. We have a two-level rack that reaches to the ceiling and holds all of our clothes (and my ukes) except for socks and underwear. Those are kept in a small set of drawers in a low chest. All other household storage is in plastic bins, sort of like the Rubbermaid totes you would see at Walmart.

Our current kitchen has a lot of cabinet space, but almost no counters. Any prep work you need to do is done on one of the low tables, either squatting or sitting on the floor. Like most Korean apartments, this place came equipped with a refrigerator and a range with gas burners (ours is fancy because it has 3 instead of the usual 2 :)) but no oven. We purchased a toaster oven, a microwave, and a shelving unit to keep them both on, making our kitchen the envy of all our expat friends.

I play my ukes while sitting cross-legged with a back rest, with my music notebook or my laptop on a table in front of me. It limits my practice time a bit, as it aggravates my sciatica and my legs tend to fall asleep. Other than that, it's a pretty comfy arrangement. :)

Last edited:
One is setting on my bed, the other is in the top of my closet.

Our ukes are in the same places as usual.

Sitting loose in the living room next to our recliners: Concert Eleuke leaning against my end table. Tenor Eleuke leaning against my husband's end table. Ovation Tenor on a stand between our two recliners.

Risa concert stick and tenor cigar box leaning against the wall between the living room and dining room.

It's super dry here, so our three "good" solid wood ukes are in humidified cases, all in the dining room near the computer.

It's nice to always have a uke handy. :D

In "the groovy room", one on a floor rack and the other on a wall mount.

The 2 dolphins are hanging on the lounge room wall, the eleuke is in it's bug gear case, the Tanglewood is up in the mountains with the wife visiting her mother, the Maton is in it's hardcase sitting on top of the printer, the Indonesian shark is hanging on the wall above the computer.

One lent to a mate, the other in its case beside my sofa where it's resting after a gig last night.

Only have a small house,so two in one room,and
two more + Banjo - Uke in another! One always
in reach,as it were...

Top Bottom