2 Questions: Need for Low G string and Capo?

frets alot

Reaction score
I'm a pretty accomplished fingerstyle guitarist and also fingerpick Scruggs style on the 5 string banjo. I'm new to uke, but have been messing around with fingerstyle. Based on my experience, I can see myself headed down that road eventually on the uke. I have a Kala Thinline Tenor.
Question 1...Should I have a low G string instead of a high G string, if I get into finger-style? BTW, I do intend on learning chords and rhythm too.
Question #2...Will I need to purchase a capo fairly quickly, if I intend on playing in uke jams...how quickly is there a need for a capo on the uke?
Thanks so much.
Susie

not much need for a capo with 4 strings. its not that hard to use barr chords with only 4 nylon strings so once you get a few movable chords down changing keys is not hard.you are definitely going to need at lleast 2 ukes, one high g , one low, then maybe a 6 or 8 string, maybe a banjo uke , a baritone , ... , welcome to UU and UAS.

Hi

Capo - I go to meet-up parties, and I never saw anyone using a capo. Ukulele players tend to stay in keys of C, G, F, maybe D A. Almost never flat keys. I also think ukulele neck is too short to add a capo.

Low-G - it is a difficult thing to decide and many simply use two ukuleles. I'm a guitar player and it is so much easier to me to use low-G. But when I do, I sound like guitar and I feel that is not the way. Someday I would like to conquer hi-G and feel at home.

Cheers
Chief

Seconding the need for two ukes. I play my reentrant soprano 99% of the time, but every now and then a great arrangement comes my way that needs those lower notes, so it's nice to have the option.

As for a capo - I don't come from a guitar background but I've never understood the need for it, especially on uke. Is the whole point that the player only needs to learn the chord shapes in one key, then rather than learn them in all the keys use those same shapes but capo the neck as appropriate? Isn't that the same thing as using moveable chords? I'd love it if someone could explain the reason for capos to me.

Hi Susie
A capo is great for me on a DGBE Baritone, where it can be used to instantly transpose a piece from GCEA(5th fret) downwards to where my limited vocal range lives. From there though, I usually just refigure the chords and work out the tune on a smaller reentrant uke. If I was smarter, I could do like Strumsilly suggests, and transpose down by barreing up higher, but that's a little too abstract for my limited grasp of the fretboard. So I use the Capo as a cheat basically.
I suppose a capo could be useful for transposing lead work in a group situation with other non-uke instruments, but other than a Bari, there's not really enough neck to make that work.

And you need more ukes, of course.

Thanks for all the great replies, so far. I think I'll forget about a capo and learn the movable chords...have started already and my guitar background really helps. As for the Low G, another uke sounds like a good idea. I'd better wait a little, or my husband will disown me. Not really, as he's the one who encouraged me to get into the uke. I have 14 instruments, but only 1 uke SO FAR. This UAS sounds like fun. I think it's worse than DAD dulcimer acquisition disease or GAS guitar acquisition syndrome.

I have 3 tenors, 1 with high G, 1 with low G and an 8 string which has both. In all honesty I prefer the low G as I finger pick a lot and it suits me...
All the best
Nige

I don't have a tenor but I did try a capo on a concert as there are some songs where I sometimes feel the need to pitch it a little higher. I found the capo got in the way and I couldn't really finger the chords properly, though. There is not really enough room on a uke for it so I abandoned it and I tuned a soprano up a tone to ADF#B which I found a much more satisfactory solution.

Folk guitarists generally prefer open chord voicings which is why they make so much use of a capo. It allows you to retain the sound of the open voicings in any key. I find open voicings also best with the uke. I only need a limited number of keys to suit my voice, mostly C, D and G plus their related modes so one uke tuned GCEA and one tuned ADF#B works well for me.

I can't comment on high or low G, except to say that when I heard both demonstrated on a You Tube video, I felt the re-entrant tuning sounded much better on the uke so can't see me using it in the foreseeable future.

On anything less than a baritone I highly recommend against a capo. The fretboards tend to be so narrow and short that even a small capo like the schub (spelling?) really gets in the way. You'll find most groups stick to uke-friendly keys (C, F, G, D , A - not necessarily in that order). As a guitarist you know the value of closed (barre) chords - learn those on the uke and you'll never need a capo and four nylon strings can comfortably be barred for hours of playing unless the action (or your technique) is terrible.

On a baritone I suppose a capo is usable - but still not something I'd recommend for frequent use.

John

I've played 5 string banjo for many years. I like the low g as it gives another 5 notes and for me, is much easier to playin a walking finger picking style like a banjo. I use my banjo capo for the uke.

It does get in the way a bit but I just wrap my thumb on the other side of the capo.

Top Bottom