Crack in my heel?

RuckMonkey

Reaction score
Should I be worried? I got this Makala MK-C Concert late last year/early this year from Hawaii Music supply and first noticed there was some gapping starting around April. However, that was right before I completed an international move from Northern Japan to Maryland, so, no time to look into it. Now that Im settled in Maryland and playing a couple of hours a day, I'm worried about it. It doesn't seem to have opened up too much more, but, I don't know if I should take it in to get looked at or just play her till she can take no more.

This is my first uke so I really don't want to lose her to something (possibly) preventable/fixable, but by the same token I do accept that it is a $70 uke. Thing of it is, I've been spending the past couple weeks on weekends playing everything I can get my hands on an the only things I've found that have a richer and more lively sound with better sustain are a couple of Kala's in the $350 range, and then a hand made uke. And of course the $1450 Collings and some vintage Martins. ;P

Inputs? Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks all!
P1030358-2.jpgP1030356-1.jpg

I don't like the looks of that but you'd probably have to disassemble the heel from the body to fix it. I'd probably wait and see what happens. The bottom third of the heel might separate at that crack but stay attached to the uke. The neck joint loses some strength that way but why take the neck off to fix it if it might last for years as-is?

If it really bothers you I would try the following:
1) Tune it up a step or two higher than normal (this will open the crack a bit ).
2) Squeeze in some CA glue (super glue). It will wick into the crack by capillary action.
3) Quickly loosen the strings to close the joint before the glue dries. I'd probably have 2 friends rerady to loosen the strings ASAP as soon as you see the glue go in - you hold the uke and they loosen as fast as they can.

If you are obsessive you could then drill a small hole in from the bottom of the heel, up towards the fretboard. Then glue a small dowel in, tying the three layers together. Cover the repair with heel cap of darker wood.

Some here will say, "Why waste time on a cheap uke?" but I think cheap ukes are great teachers. Some day you might want to fix an expensive uke, practice on the cheap ones now.

Last edited:
Thank you!! I'll give it a try. Sadly, on closer inspection I'm seeing a slight gap starting at the connection of my soundboard and the side on the lower right below my bridge. I'm really kinda bummed. I love this little uke because while cost wise she was cheap, sound wise she is fantastic. I appreciate any bit of advice I can get to extend her life as long as I can.

I don't like the looks of that but you'd probably have to disassemble the heel from the body to fix it. I'd probably wait and see what happens. The bottom third of the heel might separate at that crack but stay attached to the uke. The neck joint loses some strength that way but why take the neck off to fix it if it might last for years as-is?

If it really bothers you I would try the following:
1) Tune it up a step or two higher than normal (this will open the crack a bit ).
2) Squeeze in some CA glue (super glue). It will wick into the crack by capillary action.
3) Quickly loosen the strings to close the joint before the glue dries. I'd probably have 2 friends rerady to loosen the strings ASAP as soon as you see the glue go in - you hold the uke and they loosen as fast as they can.

If you are obsessive you could then drill a small hole in from the bottom of the heel, up towards the fretboard. Then glue a small dowel in, tying the three layers together. Cover the repair with heel cap of darker wood.

Some here will say, "Why waste time on a cheap uke?" but I think cheap ukes are great teachers. Some day you might want to fix an expensive uke, practice on the cheap ones now.

I'm not familiar with Makalas at all. Sounds like this uke may turn into a project, if you intend to keep playing it.

Top Bottom