A String Knot Stuck from below in Bridge slot---Need Help

Christie

Reaction score
Hi, I procrastinated changing strings and now that I've started, I've got a problem. My A string knot is stuck in the bridge slot. I pulled and pulled trying to remove the string carefully but ended up breaking the main string and the tail off--so all that remains is a clogged bridge slot (underneath). I've put pressure on the slot to force the knot down and still the slot is clogged. I've started to saw on it carefully with a razor blade. Any other suggestions?

I used to have Aquilas on and changed to Worths. When I strung it up, the A string slipped through the slot 2 times, so I had to put a big knot on the A string to hold it. Now I see I caused a problem. The strings are way past due for changing (almost nicked through) and the A string is broken now anyway.

How can I free the slot? What should I do next time to hold the A string, so I don't cause this problem again?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tweezers, magnifying glass, another set of eyes & hands. Short of a combination of those, add patience.

I can't advise on getting the knot out but make sure you protect the top with some tape or cardboard. You've got a scratch or ding waiting to happen.

Yep, patience. Happens on my Kanilea a lot, and I can get it released with the tip of a very thin narrow filleting knife. The way to reduce chance of it happening again is either larger knots, or use glass beads on the end of strings as stoppers

If you can get your hands on a dental pick, that might work. You can usually find cheap ones at drug stores.

Hello, it's the patience part I need most! Yes, I worry so much about damaging the uke. To the point of paranoia. Totally freaks me out having heavy metal things anywhere near my uke. I do have a dental pick out and tweezers. Hasn't helped yet.

Oh, thanks for the glass bead tip. That I will try on the new strings if I can get to the restringing part.

I agree with bazmaz and others on having patience with the help of a magnifying glass and a pair of extra hands. I have a large darning needle as part of my kit. Whenever it's time for restringing put a double figure eight knot on the A and G. The heavier strigs will be OK with a single figure eight. Good luck and stay calm. As suggested by others be sure to tape the top close to where you are digging.

Cover everything valuable with masking tape. I'd try to saw through the knot with a fine saw (you can get 'em at hobby stores and you need one anyway) or a serrated knife. Piece by piece it will come out. The extra hands and tweezers will help.

I'd be cautious about a bead, if a bead gets stuck you'll have a difficult time cutting through it. Make sure there is a path that you could pusk it out with a popsicle stick or something before you put it in.

I had that happen a few times with my Kanilea. I took a paper clip, unwound it, and very gently pushed into the slot with it, and the string popped out the other end. Good luck to you, just be careful.

Hi, paperclip was the first thing I tried. Too weak for this stuck knot! Even a dental pick was too wimpy. My husband had a special tool he uses for o-rings. That was sturdy and fine enough to finally wear through the stuck knot and release it. Whew!

Thanks for the good news Christie, I was supposed to be sleeping last night but my wee brain kept thinking of ukes instead of sheep.

Thanks for all the good suggestions and moral support. Patience--that was a really important ingredient. Now, I'm off to find proper sized beads so this won't happen the next time. Thought I found the perfect solution today in the fishing gear section of a local store but they are just a tad too big--delrin balls with holes. Rats!

I just had the same problem. In the end, a very large needle did the trick, but my bridge was a bit the worse for wear. Slot bridges suck!

or a round toothpick....fairly hard wood. As likely to work as well but less likely to damage your uke, should you slip, than a metal object.

Last edited:
One suggestion: stop pulling. Push. Use an appropriate sized drill bit if you have one small enough, or a paper clip that fits or....

My 20's - 30's Harmony has been drilled to be a string through body design making the slots in the bridge obsolete.

~AL~

Top Bottom