Ok, who owns a resonator uke, and who makes good one?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Would appreciate some honest feedback on resonator ukes from those who own one (or more). I am primarily interested in tenor resonators, but any feedback welcome.

In particular, which builders make good resonator ukes, which choice of woods make the best resonator ukes (or does that choice make as much difference in a resonator), do most have biscuit or spider type bridges, how difficult are string changes ( if any different from standard ukes), and are all other parameters basically the same - scale length, nut width, flat fingerboard, etc. - compared to standard ukes.

Thanks!

Mya Moe hands down make the best sounding resonators in my view. The National's sound OK but are a bit harsh to my ears, though their wooden models have a warmer tone. Beltona in NZ also make fairly nice ones but come with appalling string sets. I'd stay well away from the Kala, Ohana and Republics and Regals if I were you mate though again, totally a subjective assessment. String changes no prob. Most have the biscuit bridges. I noticed too that Peter Hurney (Pohaku) has started building them and I bet they sound amazing if his other models are anything to go by.

Mya Moe hands down make the best sounding resonators in my view. The National's sound OK but are a bit harsh to my ears, though their wooden models have a warmer tone.
Mya Moe buy their cones from National, and as the saying goes "It's the cone!"

Mya Moe buy their cones from National, and as the saying goes "It's the cone!"

good point Jim. I still think their finished builds sound better than the National resonators though, but I've only tried a couple of N's so I'm just an armchair critic. Hey if Bob Brozman endorses National they gotta be pretty good eh

I've had both the national and mya moe resonators. The national maple reso was so well made, a bit of a tank, but a joy to play. It made me wish for a woodier tone and I sold it to purchase a mya moe. I made the right decision for me. National is tough to beat, though.

The wood bodied Nationals are laminate, correct?

I wonder if that has to do with the difference between Mya Moe and National.

Does anyone have an opinion about the recent sound hole option added to the Mya-Moe resonators. You can now order with either the "tear drop" sound holes or the "window" holes.
The window models are supposed to be louder.

I have one on order, but can still change this aspect. Aesthetically, I would prefer an "F" hole like a violin but thats not an option.

Does anyone have an opinion about the recent sound hole option added to the Mya-Moe resonators. You can now order with either the "tear drop" sound holes or the "window" holes.

I have one on order, but can still change this aspect. Aesthetically, I would prefer an "F" hole like a violin but thats not an option.
don't like em myself...at all. I much prefer the original design on an aesthetic level. The old design is PLENTY loud enough anyway!!!

Yes, national uses laminate. I'm with Eugene on the old mm design. The new one is fine, but I prefer the look of the teardrop sound holes meself.

I'm with you MrEWorm, I wish they offered the violin F. Otherwise my vote is towards the teardrop cutout for aesthetics.

I haven't seen any photos of the new design... can you give a link?

–Lori

Top Bottom