Thread: Advice on good mic/camera for PC

Default Advice on good mic/camera for PC

Hi there,
    I am looking to buy a good mic/camera for my PC to record music stuff (and also for skype if I can combine the two!)

I use Ubuntu, and have installed audacity, but no idea what equipment I would need for recording stuff.

Does anyone have any pointers of where to start? :-) (p.s. I am in the UK)

Thanks!

You'll need to make sure the drivers for the webcam have decent Linux support. Are you using a netbook or Revo ? The reason I ask is that a great many of these have Linux installed as standard, and unless you have the dual core Revo, you might have problems with the frame rate on the webcam.

Another thing to bear in mind is that some webcam software won't let you specify a different audio device, so you're stuck with the inbuilt piece of junk.

It's a bit expensive but oh so worth it.

I have an Ipad3 for recording, and an Apogee mic for excellent studio quality sound.

Unfortunately I don't have anything posted with this new setup as I have only used it for practicing for now, but am looking forward to posting much better videos due to the improved sound quality (over the ipad's built in mic) with the new Apogee MIC.
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

instead of a dedicated usb mic, I got a usb dual pre, it's a 2 channel preamp/computer interface, that way I can use the same mics with my amp amd you have a lot more mic choices too. works fine recording the video using a logitech webcam and the audio using the dual pre. here's what they sound like

Quote Originally Posted by WildMouse View Post
    Hi there,
    I am looking to buy a good mic/camera for my PC to record music stuff (and also for skype if I can combine the two!)

I use Ubuntu, and have installed audacity, but no idea what equipment I would need for recording stuff.

Does anyone have any pointers of where to start? :-) (p.s. I am in the UK)

Thanks!
    Do you have a budget in mind for your setup? Do you want to use this rig for playing out also?
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Thread Information