NUD - yet another KoAloha Soprano Longneck

bdukes

Reaction score
Got home last night to a welcome surprise on my doorstep. After all the great feedback on the KoaAloha Soprano Longneck, I jumped at the chance when one showed up in the Marketplace. Thanks to member dmace for a fine transfer of ownership and packing job.

First, I'm psyched to be back in the KoAloha family. I think the world of the Okami's and happy to be one of their customers.

Initial impressions... Wow, it's small. (Insert that's what she said joke here.) For some reason my expectation was that because "longneck" was is the name it would be much larger. Coming from tenor as my preferred size, it was quite a difference. Hardly bigger than a regular soprano and I would guess it fits in a standard soprano case. I'll have to try later.

Ok, now onto aesthetics... very pretty and wonderfully made as expected. Totally cute and passes my "I'll play it more because I like to look at it" test.

Not a lot of time playing, but so far I really like it. Can definitely see it as a travel buddy. The extra room on the fret board is noticeable and welcome to me. Currently has Ko'olau Alohi's on it and it sounds fine, but I won't be able to leave well enough alone, so I'll move into tinkering with strings this weekend. I'll start with Worth Clears.

Here are some pics to whet the appetite. Right now I'm extremely pleased with the acquisition. But perhaps I'm more pleased to have that KoAloha positive energy in the house again.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/5655940/1/Koaloha Sop Long Neck?h=68107f

Oooo, pretty. ;) I love it when people actually add photos to threads like these. It's interesting to hear that its not quite as large as you expected--I have been looking in to a few longnecks lately out of curiosity.

Really nice!! I too was looking into one of these but to hear it's so small makes me rethink just getting the tenor.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Nice uke ;)

As the current owner of three tenors, I'm looking forward to a different scale.

I have its Pineapple twin & LOVE it. For me, the Long-neck soprano is just a perfect solution. Its why I went w/a Concert Mya-Moe instead of tenor as well.

I know you are going to enjoy it!

I have its Pineapple twin & LOVE it.

Now you folks are just being mean. Soon, soon!

I've been going back and forth on a tenor or concert pineapple Mya-Moe. I wonder if there's anyone here that could give their impressions of a tenor scale pineapple. The main reason I am holding out for the long neck pineapple is to get first-hand experience with the pineapple body shape.

Its beautiful! Welcome back to the family!

It's absolutely gorgeous!!
Are you able to upload sound files somewhere? I'd love to hear it's voice!

LOL, I know what you mean about sizes: I've been looking a lot at pictures of ukuleles and -cases lately, and because most of them are without much context, I tend to imagine them as sort of smallish guitars... ;)

Nice! It's settled. That is going to be my next uke.

A big and hearty congrats!

There's something about that clean Koaloha aesthetic. The back for example -- pretty straight grained and absolutely beautiful.

Oooo, pretty. ;) I love it when people actually add photos to threads like these. It's interesting to hear that its not quite as large as you expected--I have been looking in to a few longnecks lately out of curiosity.
Thanks, pics make the difference for me too. The uke is gorgeous in person. Such a testament to the artistry and craftsmanship of Koaloha.

Pretty uke! Congrats!
Thanks, Carlton. Isn't it about time for your pilgrimage to HI and some new ukes?

Really nice!! I too was looking into one of these but to hear it's so small makes me rethink just getting the tenor.
Looks like you've got a great tenor on the way. Try something new. It's a great size for travel IMO.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Nice uke ;)
As the current owner of three tenors, I'm looking forward to a different scale.
It's beyond conspiracy. Just do it.

I have its Pineapple twin & LOVE it. For me, the Long-neck soprano is just a perfect solution. Its why I went w/a Concert Mya-Moe instead of tenor as well.
I know you are going to enjoy it!
Thanks, Glen. Holy cow, just checked your sig. What a collection you've grown.

Now you folks are just being mean. Soon, soon!
Write. The. Check. Resistance. Is. Futile.

Its beautiful! Welcome back to the family!
It's good to be back. What's for dinner?

Very pretty uke, Bill. Nice, well fitting case too. Enjoy your new KoAloha!
Thanks, Doreen. The case is pretty nice and fits like a glove. It does seem to be a standard soprano case.
Only need a Kanile'a, and I might come close to your collection.

It's absolutely gorgeous!!
Are you able to upload sound files somewhere? I'd love to hear it's voice!

LOL, I know what you mean about sizes: I've been looking a lot at pictures of ukuleles and -cases lately, and because most of them are without much context, I tend to imagine them as sort of smallish guitars... ;)
I'll try to upload to soundcloud in a few days. Out of town now, but I can say I'm sold on this being a great uke for travel.

I'll post some comparisons with my tenor when I return.

Nice! It's settled. That is going to be my next uke.
Awesome. But this uke is mine, find another. :)

A big and hearty congrats!

There's something about that clean Koaloha aesthetic. The back for example -- pretty straight grained and absolutely beautiful.

Thanks. It is truly magnificent in its simplicity and elegance.

Congrat Bill on your new aquisition.....I love my KoAloha too..I have a couple...Glad you are enjoying it.. I believe the Alohi's are there to warm that baby up a knotch...have fun and Happy Strummings....MM Stan

Top Bottom