Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUD - yet another KoAloha Soprano Longneck

Default NUD - yet another KoAloha Soprano Longneck

Got home last night to a welcome surprise on my doorstep. After all the great feedback on the KoaAloha Soprano Longneck, I jumped at the chance when one showed up in the Marketplace. Thanks to member dmace for a fine transfer of ownership and packing job.

First, I'm psyched to be back in the KoAloha family. I think the world of the Okami's and happy to be one of their customers.

Initial impressions... Wow, it's small. (Insert that's what she said joke here.) For some reason my expectation was that because "longneck" was is the name it would be much larger. Coming from tenor as my preferred size, it was quite a difference. Hardly bigger than a regular soprano and I would guess it fits in a standard soprano case. I'll have to try later.

Ok, now onto aesthetics... very pretty and wonderfully made as expected. Totally cute and passes my "I'll play it more because I like to look at it" test.

Not a lot of time playing, but so far I really like it. Can definitely see it as a travel buddy. The extra room on the fret board is noticeable and welcome to me. Currently has Ko'olau Alohi's on it and it sounds fine, but I won't be able to leave well enough alone, so I'll move into tinkering with strings this weekend. I'll start with Worth Clears.

Here are some pics to whet the appetite. Right now I'm extremely pleased with the acquisition. But perhaps I'm more pleased to have that KoAloha positive energy in the house again.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/56559...0Neck?h=68107f
    -bill

Relationship status: Kamaka HF-3 Tenor, Kamaka HF-36 Lili'u Tenor, Mainland Mahogany Soprano, Fluke Hibiscus, Farnsworth 2000 Soprano, Hilo Soprano (you never forget your first)

Previous Relationships: Collings UT1-Koa, Koaloha Pineapple Sunday, Pono AT-SHC Tenor, Pono MHT-SH Tenor, Pono MPT-SH Tenor, Favilla Baritone, Mainland Red Cedar Concert, KoAloha Longneck Soprano

Oooo, pretty. I love it when people actually add photos to threads like these. It's interesting to hear that its not quite as large as you expected--I have been looking in to a few longnecks lately out of curiosity.
    ^^^Ukulele Novice^^^

Really nice!! I too was looking into one of these but to hear it's so small makes me rethink just getting the tenor.
    Martin S1
    Kamaka HF-3

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Nice uke

As the current owner of three tenors, I'm looking forward to a different scale.

I have its Pineapple twin & LOVE it. For me, the Long-neck soprano is just a perfect solution. Its why I went w/a Concert Mya-Moe instead of tenor as well.

I know you are going to enjoy it!
    Soprano: Sailor Brand SPC-S, Donaldson Vintage-S, Gstring Longneck, 1920's Martin 0, Makala Dolphin, Mainland Chili!, Roy Smeck. 1920's Kumalae
    Concert: ] Kala "Mighty Uke", Kamoa Grand Concert, Martin 2K
    Pineapple/Other: Mainland red-cedar, Mya-Moe Concert Pineapple (Mango), KoAloha Longneck Pineapple, Vintage Kamaka Pineapple, Kamaka 100th Anniversary Pineapple, KoAloha Concert Pops' Pineapple Sunday

Aloha from Charleston, SC!

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney View Post
    I have its Pineapple twin & LOVE it.
    Now you folks are just being mean. Soon, soon!

I've been going back and forth on a tenor or concert pineapple Mya-Moe. I wonder if there's anyone here that could give their impressions of a tenor scale pineapple. The main reason I am holding out for the long neck pineapple is to get first-hand experience with the pineapple body shape.

Its beautiful! Welcome back to the family!
    Ko'Aloha Concert-KSM-03
    Kamaka Pineapple White Label
    Gold Tone Banjolele Concert
    Hilo Soprano

Very pretty uke, Bill. Nice, well fitting case too. Enjoy your new KoAloha!

It's absolutely gorgeous!!
    Are you able to upload sound files somewhere? I'd love to hear it's voice!

LOL, I know what you mean about sizes: I've been looking a lot at pictures of ukuleles and -cases lately, and because most of them are without much context, I tend to imagine them as sort of smallish guitars...

Thread Information