Losing faith

consitter

Reaction score
I've been taking lessons now for about 2 months after "playing" uke for 6 years. I've found how little I know. My teacher is asking me to do things that I'm having extreme difficulty doing. I have lost faith in myself. I have a wonderful ukulele and can't do it justice. I can't even keep rhythm with a friggin metronome. I'm having real problems trying to mute notes, etc, etc, etc.

I don't want a pity party here either. Maybe a good knock in the head with a 2X4 is more what I need. So any criticism out there is welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

Nothing wrong with a good 2X4 to the head.

I read your post. You are taking lessons and learning new things. What's the problem again?

I read your post. You are taking lessons and learning new things. What's the problem again?

Haven't been thinking of it quite like that. Feeling sorry for myself. Need to stop that. Like NOW!

I understand your frustration. I've got the same challenges. Looking at someone else playing and thinking: Oh, that's simple..... And when I want to repeat it... disaster... :) But it's part of a learning process. There are some chords and strumming techniques that were impossible for me to play a few weeks ago and now it's on automatic mode.. but new challenges arise every time.

Just enjoy playing your uke! :) That's the most important part. And continue practicing... the uke doesn't give it's precious sounding secrets away for free! :D

Ah.. the learning curve.. how I know that feeling..
I understand your frustration very well, having gone trhough the same at work.

Hang in there, have fun with things that do sound good, and let us know in a few months time how you you've progressed.

Exactly! Who needs a teacher if all he is going to do is say you're already doing things exactly right? This is what those lessons are for!

Have you read Twyla Tharp's book THE CREATIVE HABIT? In it, she describes how even the most experienced ballet dancers make classes a part of their regular routine and how they are always struggling to learn new things. That's what it is to get better at something you love.

Hang in there bud. I just started recording myself and have realized how badly I suck. My wife thinks that I'm getting good. I'm pretty sure we are all harder on ourselves and maybe we aren't as bad as we think we are?

Or my wife was lying to make me feel better and I really do suck. Hmmm.

Not that this reflects on you, but my wife has lied to me a few times to make me feel better. ;)

I've been taking lessons now for about 2 months after "playing" uke for 6 years. I've found how little I know. My teacher is asking me to do things that I'm having extreme difficulty doing. I have lost faith in myself.
Thanks,
Scott
Scott,
Not every teacher is right for every student and vise versa. Don't lose faith in yourself. Be kinder to yourself than you think you should be. What is it that you want to get out of the lessons? Tell your teacher. I always ask my students that before the first lesson. Some students tell me before I ask. Ask your teacher for practice tips. Discuss your frustration with them. If you are not satisfied with the results, try to figure out if what you want from lessons is realistic and/or if this teacher is right for you. Most of all, never give up playing for your own enjoyment. Music self-played is Happiness self-made.

Playing with a metronome is hard. I do a lot of recording, where I use a clicktrack playing through headphones. On some pieces, if it's not absolutely clobbering me in the ear like a sledgehammer, I go off the beat. I think there are metronomic people, and groovy, loose people.

Don't feel bad. Music is hard.

Frank Sinatra couldn't hit the beat with a stick, and most people reckon he had some musical ability. :)

Here's the problem. Your teacher should be aware of your current level and use it as a starting point.

Yeah, there's a pleasant challenge, and there's soul-crushing. It's at a different place for everyone. If you're not pushing to be the most competitive audition-winningest player there is, there's no reason to get soul-crushing about it. The instructor should know this.

As for metronomes, from someone who was grilled to always be aware of what happens when the foot is up and when it is down, to subdivide everything, who marched at a high school where most of us were in a drum corps, having been in a drum corps... years of solo playing has gotten me very unfriendly with a metronome.

Don't worry about it. Unless you're recording a guide track on which your rhythm relies, unless you're playing in an ensemble, I'll tell you a little musical secret.... it doesn't matter. But if you're looking to improve a skill that you need, then absolutely practice with a metronome. Then have fun without one. :)

Last edited:
Here's the problem. Your teacher should be aware of your current level and use it as a starting point.

Tell your teacher about your frustration. But remember that is this instrument was easy, everyone would be playing like Jake! Keep strumming!

Persistance is key. Its funny because most of us, are like that with many things. Ya do something for awhile, and then take it to a formal level only to find out how much ya didn't know. Kinda like myself, I never read instructions on things until I break it. Only then I will read them to find out what I did wrong.. ;) We all are in, or have been in the same boat with you at some point my brother.. keep the chin up and keep playing. I am not happy with my playing anymore due to health reasons. I finally had to come to grips with it, and just play anyway. Suck or not, it makes me happy to do it.. That, and I get as much, if not more satifaction teaching kids to play and hearing them play and seeing them smile when they hit a note or chord right. I feel better about making a change for them, than I do listening to my own playing.. ;)

Thank you all. I've lost sight that I'm playing for the fun of it, not to impress anybody. I've been looking at it as WORK. If I keep that up, I'll quit altogether. I'll keep fun in mind, and press on. I'll still get frustrated, like I am now, but I need to remember to just have fun. It's not like I'm gonna do this for a living after all! Again, thanks to all that have responded.

Scott

Everyone learns at a different level..and many get fustrated with a excelerated lesson... I say step back and explain this to your instructor... if every thing fails, look for a new one and
go back and play your uke for fun on what you know..it will come one day....I believe in Keep it simple in uke playing too...happy strummings.. smaller steps on the learning curb..

Hey Scott. I think it's just like life mate...it's a rollercoaster ride. Everyone on this forum goes through these feelings of frustration at all levels of playing ability, it's part of the journey mate. Thing is, we're always our own worst critic. Just remember why you took up playing and why you love the instrument as you do. It's easier said than done, but try to be patient with it brother and you will reap the rewards of your efforts in due season.

As for the metronome, I hate em myself. I don't even think they're of much benefit, except for people with absolutely no sense of rhythm or timing. And, especially if you're a solo player, it's not something to get too hung up on. Songs ebb and flow naturally anyway as part of their inherent dynamic and subtle changes in tempo can be really effective. Fritz Richmond (from the Jim Kweskin Jug band) always used to love things "loose but tight" and I reckon there's some wisdom in that.

Blessings bro, keep on keeping on :)

Oh yeah, the metrodome thing. For the record brother. I have always hated them too. I play with soul, and heart, and that is where true music comes from. Not a text book IMHO. No disrespect for technical therory, but, that has never been me. I said it a million times. I have played, even semi pro guitar and bass for many years, but have never been able to read a note of music. I tried, and tried to learn the science of it, and it just never would stick. The times I tried to apply science to my playing, my fellow musicians would tell me to stop, and play with my soul like I normally do. When I applied science, it REALLY sounded mechanical, and shallow. Point is, just play. Thats all, it's simple. ;)

Top Bottom