"I'll Fly Away"

H

Hippie Dribble

1932. Albert E. Brumley.

gospel/spiritual.

primarily an instrumental arrangement of this spiritual. Was weird, I just picked up the uke this morning after listening to Ken Middleton's wonderful bari version last night and pretty much just started playing it. One of those nice moments when things seem to be pre-destined. The melody, which I admit, is very simple, just flowed out of the fingers. I am grateful for that. I sang the verse/chorus in the middle of the arrangement to give some context to the tune. Not sure if the chords below are right, it's just how I played it. Thanks for watching gang.

(F)Some glad morning when this life is over
(Bb)I'll fly a(F)way
To a home on God's celestial shore
(C)I'll fly a(F)way

(F)I'll fly away, oh glory
(Bb)I'll fly a(F)way
When I die, hallelujah by and by
(C)I'll fly a(F)way

...with apologies to the fashion police he he :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teUCQpd1UVQ

Another great rendition.

I love that song and play it as a melody with Amazing Grace. I stole the idea from a bluegrass guitar/singer at my church. ;-)

BTW, ever since you received your Colllings, I've had my eye out for one. It finally arrives today. I'm assuming it will make me as great of a player as you. :p

Another great rendition.

I love that song and play it as a melody with Amazing Grace. I stole the idea from a bluegrass guitar/singer at my church. ;-)

BTW, ever since you received your Colllings, I've had my eye out for one. It finally arrives today. I'm assuming it will make me as great of a player as you. :p

Thanks brother. What model did you get? This white one is an all-mahogany, but just has the fancy finish on. I'm a huge fan of Collings ukes, they really sound incredible...so smooth to play; lovely rich tones and great projection...and so light!!! I'm sure you'll be rapt with yours :)

Thanks brother. What model did you get? This white one is an all-mahogany, but just has the fancy finish on. I'm a huge fan of Collings ukes, they really sound incredible...so smooth to play; lovely rich tones and great projection...and so light!!! I'm sure you'll be rapt with yours :)

It's a UC1 mahogany that came up on the marketplace last week. I know that doesn't happen often so snagged it. ;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go and stare intently at the FedEx tracker...

beautiful mate, one of my fave tunes as well :) a locla (ish) rival uke club does a beautiful rendition with lots of gospelly singing, when i heard them i had tears in my eyes. I now love this song so much im going to have it as oneo f my songs for my great gig into the sky.
Loved your playing by the way jon, studying your picking :) keep em comin you know we love listening to your singing and playing. Tha t uke sure looks and sounds gorgeous, have a good week to all the best from me :)

beautiful mate, one of my fave tunes as well :) a locla (ish) rival uke club does a beautiful rendition with lots of gospelly singing, when i heard them i had tears in my eyes. I now love this song so much im going to have it as oneo f my songs for my great gig into the sky.
Loved your playing by the way jon, studying your picking :) keep em comin you know we love listening to your singing and playing. Tha t uke sure looks and sounds gorgeous, have a good week to all the best from me :)
thanks a lot brother Dave for your kindest words, man you got a heart bigger than most. Thankyou mate, and yeah, it's a ripper song...some of those old spirituals really hit you where it counts eh

Thanks for the song Jon. Must be getting colder now in the land of Taz.

heavy frost this morning Drew and zero again tonight, literally freezing mate...which reminds me, I guess I should be getting to bed, it's 12.40am... :eek:ld:

Beautiful, Jon, love the lead picking - this is one of my favorite songs to play, as well - a veritable staple at our weekly family music nights.....

hey Bill, saw your gorgeous clip with the skidoolettes at UWC...did that sure make an ol softies heart skip a beat. Those are two talented and beautiful kids mate...guess they take after their mum and dad he he

Beautiful. Some day I want to play with that same combination of heart and ease. Thank you, again, Jon for sharing this.

Jon -

Another amazing rendition! You always leave me speechless....and then inspired. I'm still working on a scheme to get you up here to Port Townsend. More on this later. You're my uke hero!

paul

In addition to the excellent playing, you have given the right feeling to the lyrics. The nice sunny day makes it seem hopeful. Thanks.

Beautiful. Some day I want to play with that same combination of heart and ease. Thank you, again, Jon for sharing this.

hey Linda, thanks for your lovely comment my friend, cheers and blessings! :)

Jon -

Another amazing rendition! You always leave me speechless....and then inspired. I'm still working on a scheme to get you up here to Port Townsend. More on this later. You're my uke hero!

paul
so nice to hear from you Paul, thanks for your generous words brother. A trip to the States would be amazing but I'm not sure I'll get there on uke playing ability...nonetheless your support and vote of confidence means a huge amount to me mate, cheers and thanks again :)

Top Bottom