Flea and Fake Flea - comparisons

It's a total copy then! They even put the little hook thing on the top of the back where it joins the neck.

My guess? Could be made in the same factory?

My guess? Could be made in the same factory?

Well, I really doubt that. The fakes are apparently made in China while FMM produces their ukes here in the USA.

But if this is true, that would be embarrassing for FMM for a bunch of reasons.

Is a fake Flea a Flake ?

Well, I really doubt that. The fakes are apparently made in China while FMM produces their ukes here in the USA.

But if this is true, that would be embarrassing for FMM for a bunch of reasons.

I was wondering about that. Because I read that the FMM ukes are "assembled" in the U.S. But are the component parts manufactured in the U.S. as well? Or are all the parts made overseas and shipped to the U.S. for assembly? I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

I was wondering about that. Because I read that the FMM ukes are "assembled" in the U.S. But are the component parts manufactured in the U.S. as well? Or are all the parts made overseas and shipped to the U.S. for assembly? I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

Hmmmmm, that's very interesting. I didn't even think about that. Not that it's a bad thing but if their parts are made over there, I wonder if the same place that is supplying them are now making these fakes?

Hmmmmm, that's very interesting. I didn't even think about that. Not that it's a bad thing but if their parts are made over there, I wonder if the same place that is supplying them are now making these fakes?

Actually, that could potentially be a bad thing.

I may be mistaken, and I am just speculating out loud, but I understood that the cause of the Flea being near $200 was because it was made in the USA. Given the cost of production here, that makes more than a little sense, as an American made uke (components and all) would cost a bit of money. But if it turns out that the components are made in China, I would think that cost of production is suddenly dropped by a lot. Certainly a friend of mine who produces things using injection molded plastics has told me that Chinese produced items are frequently anywhere from 1/10 to 1/50 the cost of American produced ones.

Not to mention that most everyone here engaged in this discussion (well, certainly me, anyway) was under the impression that Flea was 100% American made. If it's not, then Flea has done nothing overt to discourage that assumption.

I know this post can be viewed as if I am being accusatory, which I absolutely don't intend. For my part, I still believe that Flea/Fluke is made here from the plastic bits to the final polish. But if not, well, it's not that I fault them, but it does at least give me a bit to think about.

Which would make this scenario a little more llikely... If they purchased them from the same factory but had the factory assemble them rather than shipped in parts, it would make more sense...

I have to add that I've never been completely satisfied with the Aquilas on my Flea. I might try Martin Flurocarbons on it soon.

From an academic stand point. Were the strings the same between the 2 fleas?

One point to be made is that the flake had new strings, ie not stretched... So that could account for part of the sound difference too...

Apparently the top is a little thicker on the Flake, surely that wouldn't happen if they came from the same factory. But if the real tops came from elsewhere and everything was assembled in the USA then it could make sense.

I'm not looking to throw stones here. Everything that I've ever read from a Flea/Fluke owner has been positive.

Top Bottom