Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Decals youself = easiest way?

Default Making Decals youself = easiest way?

Hello. I've seen the most amazing customised uke's on this site when doing some research to customise mine ( searched for decals, painted ones, etc. ) and a lot of people have amazing decals they made themselves by going trough some graphic society.
    Now my question is, what is the easiest way to get a custom decal made for your uke ? for example if I want this in white ( my uke is black )

I guess i'm not going to be able to print this with a regular printer ( except if some paper exists for that ? ), so what should I do ? Car customisers, Print shop, ... ?
    Thanks

Do you know anyone with a Silhouette machine? It's like the Cricut but programmable.
    "play till you don't suck no more" ~Chuck Deyo "I think it's cool you turned one of your 'some day I'm gonna's into a 'today I did.' " ~RichM "Self care is not failure." ~JerBear "It is impossible to reason with people who do not rely on reason." ~ mascompro "You make your own magic." ~ Mim"The riff-raff are my people." ~ Joko

Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

damn I just googled that and it seems like the PERFECT solution indeed. Sadly no I know nobody that owns one.

Look on etsy for custom sticker makers. Most will do a custom order.
    "play till you don't suck no more" ~Chuck Deyo "I think it's cool you turned one of your 'some day I'm gonna's into a 'today I did.' " ~RichM "Self care is not failure." ~JerBear "It is impossible to reason with people who do not rely on reason." ~ mascompro "You make your own magic." ~ Mim"The riff-raff are my people." ~ Joko

Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

Thanks, i checked it out.
    To people whom it may interest and who are looking for Decals too, I think this one is pretty complete for everything pop-art/geeky/gaming related http://www.etsy.com/shop/bluegrassgraphix?page=1

They seem to be making decals for car windows, that's safe for ukulele's right ?

thanks again for the quick help, I just ordered them !
    Last edited by NumberFive; 06-08-2012 at 11:30 AM.

If you don't already have a cutting plotter, the best way to do a one of a kind decal like that is to cut it yourself by hand with an x-acto knife. You can probably get a small sheet at a local sign shop for a couple of bucks. Then just trace the pattern onto the vinyl, and hand cut it.
    Mike in Dallas, GA

Mainland Mahogany Tenor
    Eleuke Peanut Soprano
    Have you played a Ukulele today? Well, you should.
    e9e8b6

I'll be sure to try that out for my next uke. It seems like a good way to cover bigger surfaces instead of painting it.
    For this one, one of the custom decal makers from Etsy provided the solution. ( except I have no idea when they ship, it's not like Amazon)

Any shop that makes signs can cut that in vinyl. Should not be that much and look super good. that is what I do.
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

The first thing I thought of when I heard the word "decal" are the water-based transfers I used as a kid in model building. You can find transfer paper for your printer and make any graphic you wish.

www.decalpaper.com

Last edited by DaveVisi; 06-09-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    "Master technique and then forget about it and be natural"

Oh those water-based ones seem to be easy, considering you can do them yourself at home with a regular printer. But would they still work on a uke ? it's quite a slippery surface

(in the meanwhile, i ordered some online on Etsy, hope they arrive soon ! )

Thread Information