Uke Festival Interest - Charlotte NC- Upstate SC Area

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
Hi all, We were up around South Charlotte this weekend and stopped in at Andrew Jackson State Park just over the border in SC to eat our breakfast and go for a hike.

The park was perfect for a Uke festival. They had a big rustic shelter with fireplace, a great amphitheater, close parking, close restrooms and camping sites.

To make a long story short, the park is interested in helping us, The Charleston Hots Shots, host a Festival.

So I'm am trying to gauge interest from the Charlotte and surrounding area uke scene. If we held a festival would any of you all in the area be interested in attending, helping or performing?

Here are some pics of the facilities and a link to the park.

We've put on four other festivals (at Lake Greenwood state park and at Cypress Gardens). We do it for fun, love of the uke and the great uke folks we meet (IE We make no money from them)

Our next Festival is the Blackwater Ukulele Festival, October 13 2012 at Cypress Gardens. You can see pics from past festival here also.

Please give me some feedback so I know whether to proceed or not.

Yes, you could count me in (attending and/or helping) provided that the date works. I'm right next door in Fort Mill.

There's a direct flight from Bermuda to Charlotte, so, as long as I'm not working during the fest (or can get the time off), I'm in!

Oh if I were back home, I'd be in! I went to Winthrop, so that entire area is like a 3rd home. If your family complains, there's always Carowinds or Southpark Mall (if it's still nice), and let's not forget that huge liquor store near Carowinds. ;)

I gifted my first ukulele to my godson... AND he lives in Charlotte... so you're giving me multiple reasons to plan a trip to see him and his family... and to take him to his first festival!

Does anyone have the contact information for any of the uke clubs in the area so I can see if there is an interest with them? I know there was a group that used to meet at MIM's on Saturday. Does anyone know how to get in touch with someone from that circle?

Mim's group doesn't appear to exist anymore however some of the people who participated in it still frequent the boards from what I can gather. 3nails4holes used to run the group with Mim and would likely be able to provide you with more info.

It looks like with the e-mail responses, forums, friends and Ukevine, we are moving forward with setting this up. So far we have two bands (The V-Tones, The Charleston Hot Shots), Noodle McDoodle (Donald Whitley) for a workshop instructor and our friend Mim as a vendor/sponsor.

Go get the word out and sign up for the e-mail notices: http://blackwaterukulelefestival.charlestonhotshots.com/get-on-the-e-mail-list (at the end of the sign up it gives you the option to get on the Blackwater or Andrew Jackson Festival list.)

If everthing comes together we will have a separate festival site for Andrew Jackson.

Everyone down in Charleston is stoked to get this going. YEAH!!!

hey everyone!

count me in! since mim & i both moved away from mint hill, i think the group foundered.

i've made a few attempts at restarting, but it's been tough.

let's see how this shapes up!

You can't count me in, i'm only about an hour and a half away, in greensboro.

3nails4holes - We're trying to get a local group back together in Charlotte - additional details can be found in this thread

Ukuleleblues - provided this new group takes off you're welcome to leverage us to help get the word out about the pending Andrew Jackson Festival

I sent the proposal over to Andrew Jackson today. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Ya'll ought to do a road trip down to Charleston to the Blackwater Festival if you get a chance. 20 minutess from exit 199 (Summerville) on I26 festival.charlestonhotshots.com
I got the program schedule set up today.

Andrew Jackson Festival/Party - Cancelled

Hi everyone,

I am letting all of the folks that signed up to get information on the Andrew Jackson Ukulele festival or responded in this forum that I was unable to get the festival organized. So I am not moving forward with the festival or get together. I appreciate the interest.

Whooops, had me going for a minute or two before I realized you aren't talking about Cypress Gardens, FL

Top Bottom