Bridge not in the middle: problem?

Booksniffer

Reaction score
Well, I've found this lovely, beautiful, affordable, great sounding ukulele... But on closer inspection, it turns out that the bridge is not in the middle of the body at all.

There's an almost 1 cm difference; from bridge to edge is 3,5 cm on one side, and 4,5 on the other (the shorter end being at the bottom, as if it has slid downwards while being played).

You can also tell from how the strings run; the G one is waaaaay below the start of the sound hole, the A string is right at the edge of the soundhole.

bridge2.jpgbridge1.jpg

(photos were taken straight from above)

I am contacting the seller too of course, but because I really love everything else about this instrument, I am not entirely sure what to do.

How much of a problem is something like this?
Might it cause trouble in the long run with something?

If it sounds good and plays nice, just enjoy it!
A lot of time with less expensive production ukes you will see things like this. Unless the bridge is coming up on it, I would just keep strumming.

To me the KEY is how the strings are aligned with the fretboard.

If the strings are parallel with the sides of the fretboard so that your chord-forming
is not unduly impaired, then maybe you could get a discount for the 'out-of-whack-ness'
of the beast... oops, beautiful ukulele, and simply live with knowing what you do
about the mis-alignment. I doubt if many could see the misalignment, esp if the strings
look OK on/over the fretboard.

If the misalignment took the strings 'off' the fretboard so that you couldn't form chords
properly beyond the 7th fret or so, then I wouldn't get it. :)

Maybe the maker just attached the neck at a slight angle to the body... by mistake of course!

keep uke'in',

Or.....the maker's version of a "compensated saddle."

It's the north south placement that matters more (and it not being placed on an angle. If you can slide the saddle a little such that the strings run parallel with fingerboard you should be ok.

Provided of course it is placed in the right place north south also of course! What model uke is it?

If everything is aligned straight down the fretboard so your chord shapes are not out of whack and the intonation (very important) is spot on so your not playing out of tune, then you should be fine. If the neck is straight, strings are straight and the only thing is a person who was sleeping at the drill when they made the sound hole, then you should be fine. Check the notes up the entire fretboard with your tuner.

A C should be a C, not a C# when you press normally on the string and all other notes should be the same. It looks off and you know it but if you never said anything, not sure someone would say "Oh wow your strings are not perfectly aligned over the sound hole".

If it's playing well and in tune, enjoy it and don't stress yourself out.
Cheers

Well, I've found this lovely, beautiful, affordable, great sounding ukulele... But on closer inspection, it turns out that the bridge is not in the middle of the body at all.

There's an almost 1 cm difference; from bridge to edge is 3,5 cm on one side, and 4,5 on the other (the shorter end being at the bottom, as if it has slid downwards while being played).

You can also tell from how the strings run; the G one is waaaaay below the start of the sound hole, the A string is right at the edge of the soundhole.

View attachment 38928View attachment 38929

(photos were taken straight from above)

I am contacting the seller too of course, but because I really love everything else about this instrument, I am not entirely sure what to do.

How much of a problem is something like this?
Might it cause trouble in the long run with something?

Thanks everyone!
:)
The strings on the fretboard look spot on - I'll check the intonation properly tomorrow, but so far that seems fine, too.

It's a Bruko soprano with concert neck, btw.

Ah, crap. :(

Just spent a long time checking the intonation, and that is definately off; on one string as quickly as the 5th fret.

I really wasn't expecting that! :wallbash:

Edit:
Ahahahah newstringsstretching!
Kind of forgot about that.... It's already getting better (I couldn't fingure out why the strings were going flat as I moved up the fretboard!).

Guess I'll give it a couple of days. :)

Last edited:
So, I've received a reply from Bruko; they were shocked to see the pictures, and want me to return the instrument to them (and they'll pay for shipping).
Presumably they'll then send me a new, symmetrical one.

Which is great, of course, except... I've grown rather fond of this lopsided fellow.
And he sounds great: I am somehow a bit worried that a different one will not sound the same.

Not sure what to do now...

Does anyone know if Bruko ever sells seconds?
Because this would make a great slightly-flawed uke!

IMO, send it back. When it comes time to sell it, the discrepancy will definitly hinder anyone from wanting it. I'm sure Bruko would like to take a look at it. I trust the one B. sends back will be inspected firsthand before sending it off to you.

Top Bottom