Is intonation always an issue?

Don't forget that by moving the saddle backwards & forwards, you'll also be raising & lowering the action. Although, by a miniscule amount.

Good point! .020 for every .100 shift. Shouldn't be that much difference between strings but the action may be slightly different on each string. I could adjust the saddles to make up for that by sanding the bottom. Thanks!

Here's an update on my adjustable saddle design. I put this on my cheapo Lanikai and adjusted the saddles to get the intonation correct but the action was too high. Since then I have been working on understanding why the intonation was so out to begin with. What I have found is that by lowering the action the intonation is much, much better. I lowered the action by .070 on the Lanikai and it's acceptable, not perfect but close enough. I also lowered the action on the cheap Japanese made uke that I have with the same results. My conclusion is that my idea was good but unnecessary. Adjusting the action is the key. Thanks for all your comments and encouragement.
Later,
Don

Top Bottom