...And for my next trick!

DeVineGuitars

Reaction score
...And for my next trick, I will sawing a beautiful woman in half.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 4.jpg

OH! The humanity! I'm thinking I don't even want to know why...

I'm curious. Why?

As painful as it was, it had to be done. There was just a few small details about the neck that I didn't like. I was fighting and fighting it trying to make it "work". But in the end, a little OCD kicked in and I couldn't settle for it.
Granted no one on earth would ever notice the things that were bothering me about it but I just couldn't let it go.
So much for the hours of inlay and shaping time...

Please tell us that you were able to save the body...?????

[indent[]-Kurt[/indent]

I was wondering how you were going affix the hinge for the foldable "travel" 'ukulele.

You should offer it to MGM, he'll make a lamp or something and repurpose what could eventually be mulch (hopefully not). Call it "art" and you should get a good price for it.

Aaron

Last edited:
I was wondering how you were going affix the hinge for the foldable "travel" 'ukulele.

You should offer it to MGM, he'll make a lamp or something and repurpose what could eventually be mulch (hopefully not). Call it "art" and you should get a good price for it.

Aaron

Haha, no, it's not going to end up a lamp.
It's just getting a new neck.

Haha, no, it's not going to end up a lamp.
It's just getting a new neck.
Little olde Jimmy knows what to do with free table scraps. I can put the frets in....please pretty please.
PS: 'Tis a sense of humor that you have, sometimes it's like looking in a mirror.

Last edited:
Little olde Jimmy knows what to do with free table scraps. I can put the frets in....please pretty please.
PS: 'Tis a sense of humor that you have, sometimes it's like looking in a mirror.
What is life without a sense of humor?

As painful as it was, it had to be done. There was just a few small details about the neck that I didn't like. I was fighting and fighting it trying to make it "work". But in the end, a little OCD kicked in and I couldn't settle for it.
Granted no one on earth would ever notice the things that were bothering me about it but I just couldn't let it go.

Doing things like that is what makes you so good Eric, as painful as im sure it was. Having a high work ethic sucks sometimes.

Out of interest, can you elaborate on the neck's flaws?

Craig Robertson wrote a song about this. Little did I realize he was writing about a uke....from the future!

...And for my next trick, I will sawing a beautiful woman in half.

View attachment 38991View attachment 38992View attachment 38993

Hehe,....that beats Loraina Bobbet's trick!

....made me wince as much seeing that neck come off as thinking about that little incident!

BTW,....had to be something in the "feel" of the neck that bothered you,...probably a bit thin maybe? Too thick and you could have shaped it down. Something off in the scale and a new fretboard would have made more sense probably???

.....hearing of your work my "guess" is none of the above,......just didn't have the "Mojo" you demand! :D

While the flaws you mentioned were not very noticeable, I have to tell you Eric, that the person who gets a ukulele without a neck is most probably going to notice.

....And THAT... Eric, is what makes your ukulele's Devine :D

Doing things like that is what makes you so good Eric, as painful as im sure it was. Having a high work ethic sucks sometimes.

Out of interest, can you elaborate on the neck's flaws?
It was a combination of very small things. This particular piece of Alaskan yellow cedar was a little soft, but perfectly usable. when routing the slots for the headstock, the softer grain tears a little which lets in the ebony dust. Like I said, no one would have noticed it, but I new it was there. Also, I made the fretboard a little wider than normal but I felt it was a little too wide.
This uke sounds sooooo good so far that I didn't want a sub-par neck on it.

Top Bottom