Any good online places to buy a Risa ukulele in the U.S.?

mo9090x

Reaction score
Hi UU,
Do any of you know a good online retailer to buy a Risa uke? and would you trust the factory set up?

I know a local store in Los Angeles to buy one, but I'd rather save money and buy online if possible (from a trustworthy e-tailer).

Thanks in advance!

Aloha Mo,
Risa is a great company and I feel their ukes come pretty good from the factory...Mine has amazing intonation, action, and a great pickup to die for...try the one at the store....

Thanks MM Stan! Do you know of any good online retailers if I decide to buy?

Last edited:
Thanks Steve,
I just finished reading your review. It was great, thanks.
Ukulele World's price seems high and shipping is going to be another $29.75. Seems less expensive from Risa at ukulele.de, although could be faster shipping. Unfortunately my local place already sold theirs but it was going for $250.

Ukulele World has them. Very nice, honest Texas company and fast service. Find them here:

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=190

Here's my review of the concert Risa Uke Solid:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...id-Concert-Review&highlight=Risa+solid+review

One reason I didn't go through Risa's own site (despite the non-EU discount) to get mine was because I didn't know if ICE would ding me for import fees.

I'd purchased some other items from Germany a few months prior, UPS put a hold on my package until they realized they could have me pay the import duty while I was standing at the pickup window at their garage/warehouse.

The Risa site would be shipping through USPS Priority Mail and I did some research which said I could be paying up to $16 in duty fees. Additionally I might get hit with foreign transaction fees on my Paypal payment (likely but I'm not positive).

More and more I wish I got it from my local store before they sold it. They said a few more months before more come in.

One reason I didn't go through Risa's own site (despite the non-EU discount) to get mine was because I didn't know if ICE would ding me for import fees.

I'd purchased some other items from Germany a few months prior, UPS put a hold on my package until they realized they could have me pay the import duty while I was standing at the pickup window at their garage/warehouse.

Risa's ukes come with excellent setup, because well.. ukulele.de is actually run by the guy who owns Risa :)

I've been frustrated with my dud Eleuke today.. but my Risa's cheered me up. I've had them for a while, but they're still just as good as brand new.
I've had my Eleuke for days.. and it's already breaking down :(

Call Pua Pua and see when they will be getting more. Maybe, if price is right, reserve one. They sure are great, indestructible playable ukuleles that well hold their value in resale, too.

Risa's ukes come with excellent setup, because well.. ukulele.de is actually run by the guy who owns Risa :)

I've been frustrated with my dud Eleuke today.. but my Risa's cheered me up. I've had them for a while, but they're still just as good as brand new.
I've had my Eleuke for days.. and it's already breaking down :(

Yeah, if this is a uke solid, then it'll have a default setup that can't be adjusted, but it's smooth as butter so it's a non-issue. If it's another of his ukes, I'm sure you could just put it in the comments what kind of action you prefer.

I see from Risa's website that it's launching its own second brand called Koki'o, apparently Asian-made, with modest prices and relatively impressive specs, e.g., all have arched backs, solid Mahogany necks, premium tuners, bone nut and saddle, strap pins, laser-cut adornments, etc. Available starting March 2014. The ebony tenors look really nice but I'd be wary about a CITES Treaty seizure by customs officials during shipping. Anyone here have such experiences with imports or while traveling? I'll email Risa to find out what they know about this; will post what I learn.

Last edited:
I realise this is an old thread but I have two Risa ukes. As others have said, the uke-solid has excellent setup out of the box. I've just bought a Uke-Ellie and it's also got excellent setup out of the box.

I can't comment on the other part of the OP's query as I'm in the UK.

My Risa solid soprano stick made it to Canada via DHL International and then transferred to regular mail. I don't remember paying any duty though that's always a toss up.

You won't regret getting one of those. They're handy.

Petey

I realise this is an old thread but I have two Risa ukes. As others have said, the uke-solid has excellent setup out of the box. I've just bought a Uke-Ellie and it's also got excellent setup out of the box.

I think I sent you that. We check them out but yes, set up wise they are great. But always worth getting them from somewhere that will check them. Last year some had sharp edges on the multi directional tuning rod. Easy to rectify - if it goes through a workshop first.

...I'd be wary about a CITES Treaty seizure by customs officials during shipping. Anyone here have such experiences with imports or while traveling? I'll email Risa to find out what they know about this...

Rigk at RISA advises that his company is fully CITES compliant, and he notes that Europe is particularly stringent regarding endangered-species rules. He says RISA will have appropriate documentation for the woods used in the new Koki'o line as such paperwork will be necessary for it to bring those instruments into Germany.

Last edited:
Hi UU,
Do any of you know a good online retailer to buy a Risa uke? and would you trust the factory set up?

I know a local store in Los Angeles to buy one, but I'd rather save money and buy online if possible (from a trustworthy e-tailer).

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Would you let me know the place where I can buy Risa Solid Concert in LA? I am coming from HK and will have a business trip to LA and Vegas from 7 -13 Mar. Many thanks.

I think I sent you that. We check them out but yes, set up wise they are great. But always worth getting them from somewhere that will check them. Last year some had sharp edges on the multi directional tuning rod. Easy to rectify - if it goes through a workshop first.

Just realised who you are. I also bought a Bruko tenor from you at the GNUF last October. Lovely instrument. I've tuned it down to A & it sounds even better.

The sharp edges on the tuning rod are probably some people have had problems with strings snapping on the uke-solid. So far my concert "stick" has been fine though I'm careful with how I tune it. As you say, easily fixed if the retailer checks them before selling them.

Top Bottom