KPK? Bone or Rosewood

Ironcheflove

Reaction score
OK, I've been looking to buy my first uke now for over a month and have decided that I love the KPK concert sound and look the best. But I don't know if I should go with bone or wood. I've tried searching YouTube for sound bits but haven't seen any. Anyone have experience with them and the difference in sound between the two? Mahalo for the replys.

Last edited:
Need further clarification. I assume you're talking about the nut and saddle. If that's the case, go with bone or Tusq. You'll be more satisified. I've had both rosewood and Tusq.

BTW, welcome to the forum. It is a place rich in knowledge of the ukulele at all levels, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

Thank you for the welcome... After living in Hawaii for 6 yrs and having real luau with a few ukes and ono kine grinds and then having to move back to the mainland, I miss ukes. Now I'm determined to learn it to share some Aloha Spirit with my new friends and recapture the luaus too.

I bought my KPK concert prior to Jason offering the bone as an option and was quite happy with the sound. I have always had the opinion that the harder the nut and saddle material the better the vibration transfer. I had a Graphtech Black Tusq Saddle I had bought for another uke and recently installed it on the KPK. It seemed to boost the volume and clarity of the tone supporting my opinion that the harder the material the better. So staying with the harder the better, I'd opt for the bone. I've added one of the new maple bound deluxe pineapple sopranos to my UAS list and will order it with the bone upgrade.

Any dense material works well and you will be hard pressed to find the difference once you are at a certain density. Camel Bone, Buffalo Bone, Corian (like the counter top), all work well. I just got a new custom Pohaku with a beautiful rosewood saddle and the sustain and tone is incredible. I wouldn't change the rosewood for bone on this particular uke. I have seen many with Ebony as well and that is equally as good.

I bought my KPK concert prior to Jason offering the bone as an option and was quite happy with the sound. I have always had the opinion that the harder the nut and saddle material the better the vibration transfer. I had a Graphtech Black Tusq Saddle I had bought for another uke and recently installed it on the KPK. It seemed to boost the volume and clarity of the tone supporting my opinion that the harder the material the better. So staying with the harder the better, I'd opt for the bone. I've added one of the new maple bound deluxe pineapple sopranos to my UAS list and will order it with the bone upgrade.

I just bought a used KPK concert cutaway with rosewood nut and saddle, and aquila strings, and like many, I just "assumed" that bone or some similar material for nut/saddle would be superior to the rosewood ones available on KPKs. Weeeeellllll, as has often been said on UU, this is a highly subjective matter and I suspect that a bone nut and saddle on this uke only sounds better to to the people who prefer that sound. I had ebony nut and saddle on my Mele soprano, and wasn't wild about the tone (not really bad though) but my new KPK arrived and it has some of the sweetest, woodiest tones (some folks pay huge sums for this tone by buying high end ukes.) I've heard lately. I started to consider a while back that it's wise to have someone who knows how to play a uke to play yours, so that you can really hear it the way others will hear it, before you go making any modifications. A huge difference in "hearing it while you are holding it."
In short, my son was wild about the tone and would'nt consider changing a thing about it. The more I really "heard" it as he played it, the more I agreed. If you love the tone, why put on a harder materials so that it sounds more like your other ukes (with bone nuts and saddles.) After installing some Southcoast strings on my Mele tenor with ebony nut and saddle, and "hearing it" while my Son played it, I think I'll stick with the sweet, woody sound on that one too. Just somethig to think about before "automatically" falling into the bone nut and saddle always sounds better philosophy. (that's right up there with the "koa ukes always sound better philosophy."

OK, I've been looking to buy my first uke now for over a month and have decided that I love the KPK concert sound and look the best. But I don't know if I should go with bone or wood. I've tried searching YouTube for sound bits but haven't seen any. Anyone have experience with them and the difference in sound between the two? Mahalo for the replys.

I have bone nut and saddle with Southcoast Linear strings on my tenor KPK. I really like it a lot. As PhilUSAFRet says, it's very subjective.

Well I made my decisions. I choose the rosewood nut and saddle and I'm loving the sound even more than then the other ones that I heard on UTube. She and I will make some beautiful music together.
Here she is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom