Kanilea bellying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I was quite concerned about the things a lot of people said about Kanile'a on that threadwithout having any first hand experience, and knowing only part of the facts. Some people are still saying they wouldn't buy from them because of Aldrine said their warranty didn't cover bellying (trying to clarify, but because it was his own assumption it actually added to the misunderstanding).

I didn't feel that was fair to them, so I decided to get in touch with Joe and Kristen and ask them myself, just so I can make an informed decision when the day comes when I have that type of money to buy a ukulele. Of course the question was about current ukes, not Jimmy's instrument, as it was already established it was acquired before they started offering lifetime warranty. Following is part of Joe's response to my e-mail:

To answer your question, yes our warranty covers bellying of the top under "normal" circumstances.
Understanding, that there are different situations that cause "bellying" and each situation may require a
different approach towards a remedy. Honestly, we don't see "bellying" on our instruments too often.
Especially after creating our TRU (Total Resonating Ukulele) bracing back in May of 2007.

Typical, a broken transverse brace (perpendicular to the center line)or a Tonal bar (laterally with the grain
of the wood), which has failed on the sound board is the cause of any bellying and can be remedied by an
experienced guitar/ukulele technician. This type of repair is covered under warranty and can be handled by us.

I'm posting this with Joe's permission, and only with the intention of bringing clarity to the issue, so others can consider the proper factors when deciding between Kanile'a and other brands on the same price/quality range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom