Soprano Ukulele Suggestions?

gwok

Reaction score
I've been playing ukulele for about 1 and a half years, and currently I own 2 ukuleles; my first was a really cheap (bought it at around $40) soprano and my second was a better concert ($100).
I want to buy a pretty decent quality soprano but I don't know which one to get. Any suggestions?

Keep in mind I am going in to college so the price range is around $80-$200

This is pretty self-serving, but I've got a great solid wood Ohana soprano for sale in the Marketplace. $150 + shipping fits your budget!

And Ohana is a good choice. Similar to mainland. Most of my ukes have been purchased from the marketplace.

Last edited:
Ohana SK-35 is an awesome choice in that price range. Solid Mahog, good quality and sound for any factory made uke.

Ditto on the SK-35, it's a beautiful uke. Though it made me realize that, at heart, I am a pineapple man.

Also take a look at the Ohana SK-25. It's slightly lesser quality wood/tuners, etc, but I actually prefer it to the SK-35.

Yes, the SK-25 is actually the very same uke as the SK-35, but less money. The difference is soley cosmetics. The 35 is a little fancier with rosewood binding, headstock vineer, and the 25 just a visually toned down version of the 35. So the same uke, and quality for a bit less money. Either is a fine choice in that price range.

+1 for Ohana - good sound and very consistent manufacture. I think they're the outstanding choice in this range.

Maybe also consider Bruko: http://brueko.de/en/index.html

Check out some reviews on YouTube - the sound can be a little brash and some don't like them, but if they suit your style the quality is good - solid wood and very accurate and consistent manufacture.

There's a very sweet sounding Makai soprano for sale in the Marketplace and the seller is pretty cool. :rolleyes:

I'll 2nd the Bruko. Great little ukulele for the price.

I own two soprano Mainlands now and have to throw my vote to them. The mango is honestly replacing my KoAloha as my favorite uke (granted, this may be a case of the pick of the litter but I own six Mainlands plus another I gave to a son-in-law and none have been disappointing). The mahogany soprano I picked up during UWC is not quite as "crazy good" as the mango but is still a very good uke in it's own right.

I've never owned an Ohana but I've heard mostly good things and the ones I've had the opportunity to play were good. One of the loudest "barkiest" ukes I've ever played is Jeff's Ohana vita uke that he got from Mim. Granted, it's got a larger body than your typical soprano but it's still very impressive.

Kala solid ukes can be okay if you get them from a reputable dealer who will set them up. My experience with them straight from the factory is that some of them need some work with the nut files to get the intonation proper at the first couple of frets. Also, I think they're a bit more overbuilt than either the Mainland or Ohana ukes. I don't think I've ever actually played them back-to-back with either but my impression when I pick one up is usually that it seems kind of heavy for its size. I had a solid acacia pocket uke that weighed only two ounces (if I recall correctly) less than the concert size KoAloha that I had at the time!

John

I posted a similar question in December - $250options. When all was said and done I wound up with a Mainland Mahogany Pineapple for $180 and absolutely love it. Both Mikes (at Mainland and Uke Repulic) were great help.

I do not own one, but I was very impressed when I played the Kamoa E3. Solid wood, $199 for the soprano.

Yes, the SK-25 is actually the very same uke as the SK-35, but less money. The difference is soley cosmetics. The 35 is a little fancier with rosewood binding, headstock vineer, and the 25 just a visually toned down version of the 35. So the same uke, and quality for a bit less money. Either is a fine choice in that price range.

+1 on this. If you are really saving pennies, the SK25 is a great value. But then again, so is the SK35.

My local shop is a top end acoustic place and will only stock Ohana as their go-to uke. Everything else is vintage. There's a reason for that; Ohanas are quality, affordable instruments.

http://www.brindleysmusic.com/p-1828-ohana-sk-25-soprano-solid-mahogany-ukulele.aspx
has the 25 for $139 shipped.

Last edited:
1) flea or fluke. cannot go wrong.
2) makala dolphin. cannot go wrong.
3) mahalo. cannot go wrong.

I agree - Ohana SK25 or SK35 are both solid wood and less than $200. Mainland are also very nice. My opinion is that Mainlands are finished and set up better and are a bit fancier (more decorations) but you pay a bit more. You will not go wrong with either. If you can get to the Mainland showroom in Indiana you can buy a second and bring the price down to the Ohana range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom