19th season of the Ukulele

Hi Seasonistas,
I missed the duet week for various reasons, but here's a river song.
It's a little on the Not Safe For Work or Kids side due to the lyrics/title:

Here's Patti singing it recently: http://youtu.be/Ta0bmVcfPm0
Looks like I have been mishearing some of the lyrics all this time...

That's quite some performance! Excellent stuff.

Thanks Tootler, you're introducing me to a new song a week! That one is great.

And you've returned the favour. I'd not heard your song before, but it's pretty powerful stuff.

I have an off-topic question for you Seasoners. I would have asked this in the 17th Season (animal week) thread, but that turned into a discussion of the EuroCup.

I went to Newfoundland back in 1991, and I brought back a couple books with songs in them. One is Haulin' Rope & Gaff: Songs and Poetry in the History of the Newfoundland Seal Fishery. It's mostly poems, along with a few songs that show a melody line but no chords. I was reminded of the book by Eugene's whaling song on the Video board. I'd be tempted to start poking at some of the stuff in this book, but I wonder if seal hunting is so offensive to people these days that all I'd be doing is making people angry. People accept whaling as a part of history, but they probably don't think of sealing that way. What do you think?

I wonder if seal hunting is so offensive to people these days that all I'd be doing is making people angry. People accept whaling as a part of history, but they probably don't think of sealing that way. What do you think?

I've been trying to offend since I got into the seasons thing with songs about communism, sexist fathers, recreational animal slaughter, and public urination (see above). So far no takers...I say go for it.

Here is my entry. "She Walks Alone". Written by Graeme Miles a songwriter based on Teesside in North East England. He has written some wonderful songs and if you go to a folk club on Teesside you are very likely to hear one of his songs sung.

The River Leven is a tributary of the Tees. It rises on the North Yorks Moors above Kildale and flows into the Tees near Yarm.

I'll try and post the other one I was considering later in the week as a bonus song. It's also by Graeme Miles.

Oh that's a great song Tootler! And I'd like to hear more of Graeme's songs so feel free to post again if you find the time.
Your name has gone into the hat!

So, what did we learn today on our first Ukulele field trip? We learned wind is very distracting, and it makes the microphone very unhappy. We learned that people do not like to hear the same verse of a song 30 times. We learned that outside is full of distraction. Around 1:40 we finally got the song out- William Elliot Whitmore's "Lift My Jug (Song For Hub Cale)". He wrote it for a hobo he first encountered when he was six...I butchered it because I think it is beautiful.
OK- so we made this-

And then we cleaned up everyone else's garbage.
Thanks Myrna- that was a lot of fun really- next time I will see what I can do about the wind ;)

So, what did we learn today on our first Ukulele field trip? We learned wind is very distracting, and it makes the microphone very unhappy. We learned that people do not like to hear the same verse of a song 30 times. We learned that outside is full of distraction.

This is exactly what happens to me I always run out of battery power because my nerves would go a jangly and those fingers don't work.
But once you get it out it's good.

Nice rendition of this song. sounded pretty good to me.

So, what did we learn today on our first Ukulele field trip? We learned wind is very distracting, and it makes the microphone very unhappy. We learned that people do not like to hear the same verse of a song 30 times. We learned that outside is full of distraction. Around 1:40 we finally got the song out- William Elliot Whitmore's "Lift My Jug (Song For Hub Cale)". He wrote it for a hobo he first encountered when he was six...I butchered it because I think it is beautiful.
OK- so we made this-

Thanks Myrna- that was a lot of fun really- next time I will see what I can do about the wind ;)

Man. that sounds sweeeeet! I often forget which season we're on when I'm introducing my video. Thankfully I watched your vid before I did mine, now I will certainly not forget that this is season 19 of the ukulele. I love the false starts, keeps it real and human. God knows I do a handful of takes before I'm sick of myself! You've got a great voice TCK. Love it!

OK- so we made this-

Brilliant TCK- a river song AND a train song lol! And on location at a river to boot. I know what you mean about the wind - I like recording outside and I have the same problem on windy days. Extra bonus points for picking up the garbage. :cool:
Your name is in the hat.

Thanks folks, glad you liked the song! Had a lot of fun doing it and we recorded like four others...but they are toast due to the wind picking up.
If anybody has an idea of how to take the wind out (mmmmmmmmmBILL) I am all ears.
In any event- so darn fun to enter contests around here, everyone is so nice about what you submit. It's like being at a cake walk ;)

Thanks folks, glad you liked the song! Had a lot of fun doing it and we recorded like four others...but they are toast due to the wind picking up.
If anybody has an idea of how to take the wind out (mmmmmmmmmBILL) I am all ears.
In any event- so darn fun to enter contests around here, everyone is so nice about what you submit. It's like being at a cake walk ;)

Depends on your mike
I have t' find a stuffy at the store or second hand store and use it's fur to create some sort of windsock or just bite the bullet and buy one
wp6c1a49f2_05_06.jpg
You can find it here
the store is not open at the moment.
this just gives you an idea of what you can find I'm sure there are a ton of youtubies out there but if anyone else has some cool ideas I would like to see them too

Last edited:
Hi Myrna and everyone else,
Here is my entry for the 19th season. It is the 'Queensland version' of Waltzing Matilda. This version has a different melody than the well known version. The words are closer to A.B.'Banjo'Patterson's original poem. I believe it was collected in the 40's form a guy called O'Niell, although I could have that wrong. The river reference is to a Billabong. Billabong is an aboriginal word Billa=river bong=dead. A few other quick translations for some of the strange words and meanings. A 'swagman' is an itinerent rural worker who travelled the country on foot carrying all his belongings in a 'swag' or bedroll. A 'billy' is a tin can with a handle used to boil water for tea. A 'jumbuck' is a sheep. A 'tuckerbag' is a food bag, tucker is slang for food. In this context a squatter is part of the rich landed gentry and in this song represents the establishment while the swagman represents the underdog
Some still claim the song is a meaningless ditty. I don't, it is a political song detailing actual events surrounding the shearer's strikes of the late 1800's. Dennis O'Keefe has recently publshed a book about the song and detailing its true meaning.

OK- so we made this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvd2wJuhJTg&feature=youtu.be

Nice song, great location. That's a fine bridge in the background.

Here is my entry for the 19th season. It is the 'Queensland version' of Waltzing Matilda. This version has a different melody than the well known version. The words are closer to A.B.'Banjo'Patterson's original poem. I believe it was collected in the 40's form a guy called O'Niell, although I could have that wrong. The river reference is to a Billabong. Billabong is an aboriginal word Billa=river bong=dead. A few other quick translations for some of the strange words and meanings. A 'swagman' is an itinerent rural worker who travelled the country on foot carrying all his belongings in a 'swag' or bedroll. A 'billy' is a tin can with a handle used to boil water for tea. A 'jumbuck' is a sheep. A 'tuckerbag' is a food bag, tucker is slang for food. In this context a squatter is part of the rich landed gentry and in this song represents the establishment while the swagman represents the underdog
Some still claim the song is a meaningless ditty. I don't, it is a political song detailing actual events surrounding the shearer's strikes of the late 1800's. Dennis O'Keefe has recently publshed a book about the song and detailing its true meaning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGR6Qyojvdk&feature=plcp

An excellent choice. Great version of Waltzing Matilda. I think I like the tune better than the well known one.

Oh that's a great song Tootler! And I'd like to hear more of Graeme's songs so feel free to post again if you find the time.
Your name has gone into the hat!

Thanks Myrna. Yes, he's a wonderful songwriter. His songs are very evocative of the region where I live, both the industrial and the beautiful North York Moors.

I'll try and get the other one I had in mind done. I've just found another about the Leven but I'm not sure that I'll get it learnt in time.

Welcome to the Seasons DallasOz! Thanks for that great version of Waltzing Matilda - I have never heard the Queensland version before. The history of songs fascinates me and I just had to research this one. I found out this is considered by some to be the unofficial national anthem of Australia and that this song has its own museum (the Waltzing Matilda Center in Winton, Queensland). There are more recordings of Waltzing Matilda than any other Australian song. Thanks for adding your version to the 19th Season contest.
Your name is in the hat!

Here's the other song I had in mind. A bonus track, if you like. I've faded my talking (singing) head out and substituted some photos of the North York Moors.

Grain Beck is a stream that eventually flows into the river Esk which in turn flows into the sea at Whitby. There are several Esks in Britain, this one is in North Yorkshire.
The word "beck" is normally used for a stream in this part of England (and over in Cumbria). It comes from Old Norse Baekr (sp?). Swedish, Danish and Norwegian all have the same word, just spelled differently.

Hi Seasonistas,
I missed the duet week for various reasons, but here's a river song.
It's a little on the Not Safe For Work or Kids side due to the lyrics/title:

Here's Patti singing it recently: http://youtu.be/Ta0bmVcfPm0
Looks like I have been mishearing some of the lyrics all this time...

Great job as ever peewee, i always look forward to what song you are going to do and you always delight, loved it mate ,well done :)

Here is my entry. "She Walks Alone". Written by Graeme Miles a songwriter based on Teesside in North East England. He has written some wonderful songs and if you go to a folk club on Teesside you are very likely to hear one of his songs sung.

The River Leven is a tributary of the Tees. It rises on the North Yorks Moors above Kildale and flows into the Tees near Yarm.

I'll try and post the other one I was considering later in the week as a bonus song. It's also by Graeme Miles.

Another great entry geof, good to see you coming back each week, i spent a lovely long weekend up near whitby many years ago in a beautiful place called gisborough.
Great entry mate and hope you stay for future weeks :)

OK- so we made this-

Dave mate that was awesome, loved it, it was great to watch, with all the bloopers it was brilliant, and man you do play the uke well and you have a great singing voice, loved the song, absolutely brilliant, mate really hope your sticking around now for the seasons, as it is great having you onboard :)

Great song Dallas, wow I have never heard the queensland version, either, waltzing matilda is one of my fave songs toplay on the uke, alledgedly a decendant of banjo patterson lives near me, but i dont know if there is any truth in that or the person has got it wrong :) well played and well sung mate

Top Bottom