What if my two Pohaku tenors had a baby?.........New Uke Day!

erivel

Reaction score
My Maple/Spruce Blondie Island tenor and Koa Olive tenor. If you combined the best of the two into a smaller package...
7405290688_0e8fc5f64f_b.jpg

You'd get...

Bold White Koa concert!
7405282234_dca420bfef_b.jpg

7405284502_2cce5b62ab_b.jpg

7405283574_5b58a9da9f_b.jpg

Sorry for my crummy photography skills...

This is actually a used 2007 model that I picked up from Peter Hurney today. It was recently featured in the book 'Learn to Play the Ukulele' published by Fox Chapel Publishers. It's a reddish hued Koa concert done it Peter's Western motif. Maple everywhere: binding, bridge, fretboard inlays, rosette, and mustache. Peghead tuners, rosewood fretboard, and ebony nut and saddle. Couple of dings here and there, eh...no big deal. Just strung it up with Hilos and it sings very sweetly!

Now to save up for that little mahogany soprano of his...

Last edited:
Very pretty... congratulations!

What a sweet moustache your baby is sporting! It's also handy to see the two Pohaku sizes next to each other. I'm jealous that you can just run down there and visit and try whatever is hanging around. I thought about picking up that Mahogany soprano myself, but sopranos are really just too small for me. Congrats on your pretty new toy!

Oh lucky, lucky you to have THREE Pohakus! Nice details on all of them.

They look great together, and I'm sure they yearn for a little soprano to complete their family, so don't let that one get away.

Thanks everyone! That little soprano actually sold. But I did get to see some concerts in the works: a new Steampunk and a Koa with rope binding and moustache. They are going to turn out awesome. Also saw another soprano with the Dole logo on the face which looked pretty cool too.

Didn't think that koa concert'd last long!!!! Great choice Eric, what a stunning trio you have mate, congratulations brother
:eek:ld:

I had my eye on that concert for the longest time... thank you for putting me out of my misery!

I saw that concert uke while Peter was building my tenor. It was a very sweet instrument.
My Pohaku 'silver whale' koa tenor might the 'uncle' to your three ukes.

photo[1].JPG photo[1] (2).JPG

Last edited:
Didn't think that koa concert'd last long!!!! Great choice Eric, what a stunning trio you have mate, congratulations brother
:eek:ld:

Thanks Jon! Coincidentally two visitors had just left Peter's house before I got there. They were from Australia and happened to be the authors of the book my uke was featured in. I think they were Bill Plant and Trisha Scott.

Aloha Eric,
3 beautiful ukes, congrats on all. Didn't know Peter built normal ukes also. I only seen his Art Deco ones which I wasn't too fond of.
Mahalo for sharing,.......................BO.........................

erivel: I had to do some talking to get Peter to put bridge pins on my tenor. He talked about the damping effect of the increase in weight over his standard bridge. He had many good reasons but finally relented because I wanted the uke to resemble a Martin tenor without being a direct copy. Martin tenors have bridge pins.
Peter is a real genius.

These Pohaku ukuleles are intriguing. Peter is exceptionally talented. I look at his For Sale gallery every couple of months and may well pull the trigger when I see something that particularly trips my fancy. I am familiar with these instruments only from Eric's youtube videos. I know each is unique and I'd give anything to see them in person to select. You are fortunate, Eric, to be able to drive over and see what you're buying and to know Peter. Perhaps someday I'll fly out for another trip to SoCal and make it my mission to buy a souvenir Pohaku to play and enjoy.

Last edited:
Wow Wow Wow.... Missed this thread...haven't been feeling well.....I really want a pohaku concert or tenor too... real nice addition to your Pohaku family...congrats....
did he have any other used Pohaku ukes for sale ......Darn I am so jealous...Congrats on the nice score...Happy Strummings....

Sorry I've been away from this thread, but thanks for the nice words everyone. I've been getting to know it better and experimenting with different strings. Hope to make a video with it soon.

Top Bottom