Five Star banjo tuners on Super Concert. Bad idea?

scdano

Reaction score
I'm just finishing up a koa super concert (#7) and the time's come
to decide on tuners. I've got a set of five stars and I really like the way they work, as well as their look. Any thoughts on these tuners on a super concert? I'm aware of the extra weight they would add, but not sure if it would be significant.

If you've got a set on hand, then put them in a plastic bag and tie them on to the headstock and have a feel of the weight and balance. If it doesn't bother you, then go for it.

A personal choice that none of us could really comment on other than telling you what we like.....Me, well I hate the look of them so I wouldn't. But that's just me.

The five star planetary tuners are nice on my banjo. 4:1 ratio, do what they need to do, and I replaced my standard 14:1 geared tuners with them nearly 20 years ago.

That being said, I like my PegHed tuners on the uke. Same 4:1 ratio, but a fraction of the weight. I've got Pegheds on my Fluke and FireFly, and they will be on a custom uke in the future.

I'd say go for the Pegheds. I don't remember which UU member sells them, but his prices are very good - comparable with the 5-Star pegs.

-Kurt​

Does anyone know the difference in weight between Pegheds and 5 stars? I know the Pegheds are lighter, as they're aluminum rather than brass. I tried the 5 Star website, but it doesn't list the weight. I much prefer the 5 Star's appearance over the Peghed's....

I actually left the headstock at 13mm, with the intention of using either Pegheds or Five Stars. I've used Pegheds on two of my tenor ukes before, but I had an old Kimaka tenor that someone had installed Five Stars on and I really liked the way they felt compared to the Pegheds. I was just looking for opinions on their use on the smaller bodied super concert. And thanks for the suggestion of hanging them on the peghead Allen. I tried that and the extra weight didn't bother me at all.

Top Bottom