KoAloha Longneck Soprano - Building My Own

ukegofirst

Reaction score
In two week’s time I’m attending a 2 day ‘Build Your Own’ workshop as part of the Cairns Ukulele Festival in Australia. Alan & Paul Okami and ‘Griz’ are running the workshop and, after extensive research here at UU, I decided to go for the Longneck Soprano. The specs are for solid koa body, mahogany neck complete with the Koaloha branding but with a hand rubbed rather than gloss finish. Given that it’s only 2 days I imagine it’s more a case of ‘Assemble Your Own’ but with the KoAloha branding on the instrument I can't imagine they'll let us walk away with anything that would let down their fine reputation.

To put this in perspective, I’ve been playing ukulele for around 18 months and have never even seen a ‘K’ brand ukulele. While the ukulele is enjoying great popularity in Australia I haven’t been able to find many high end brands. The nearest Kamaka I could find was a 2 hour drive and 3 hour flight away. The nearest Kanilea dealer is on the other side of the country.

The festival organisers are claiming this workshop as a one off and I’m starting to get very excited – everything I’ve read about the Okami’s and about the Longneck Soprano makes me think that this could be a very special occasion and hopefully a very special instrument.

Has anyone else attended a KoAloha workshop?

Top Bottom