Island of Lanai: SOLD!

I wonder how the people of Lanai feel about this?

It's not like Lanai is now owned by the people of Lanai and they're losing it. The seller is Castle & Cooke, a corporation. I would prefer if Lanai was owned by its own people, and I am no fan of Larry Ellison, who tried to hijack the city of San Francisco in connection with the 2012-2013 America's Cup races and ended up bleeping the city by backing out of a plan that would have redeveloped a major portion of the city's shoreline, but is it possible that Ellison will actually be a better owner than Castle & Cooke?

It's not like Lanai is now owned by the people of Lanai and they're losing it. The seller is Castle & Cooke, a corporation. I would prefer if Lanai was owned by its own people, and I am no fan of Larry Ellison, who tried to hijack the city of San Francisco in connection with the 2012-2013 America's Cup races and ended up bleeping the city by backing out of a plan that would have redeveloped a major portion of the city's shoreline, but is it possible that Ellison will actually be a better owner than Castle & Cooke?

You make some good points. Until today I didn't know Lanai was already mainly corp.owned. But still.....it just seems so wrong.

But could just be me.

That's my hope as well - Castle & Cooke didn't exactly have a great track record for doing Hawaii any favors. I don't know a lot about Ellison but I did read that Lānaʻi is a favorite travel destination of his - the skeptic in me wonders if this travel was business or pleasure, but hopes that it's the latter and that his intentions are honorable.

But still.....it just seems so wrong.

But could just be me.

No, not just you. But then I'm so far left that the idea of private ownership, whether corporate or otherwise, of 98% of an island that is a part of the United States just seems wrong to me!

No, not just you. But then I'm so far left that the idea of private ownership, whether corporate or otherwise, of 98% of an island that is a part of the United States just seems wrong to me!

I'm sure the native Hawaiians will be along shortly to point out the irony in that statement :)

ps. I know my Hawaiian history, so you don't need to point out that we started it.

I'm sure the native Hawaiians will be along shortly to point out the irony in that statement :)

ps. I know my Hawaiian history, so you don't need to point out that we started it.

No irony intended but excellent point that my statement could be misinterpreted... I know the history and while my background is as a social historian (most definitely not a political one!) the fact that that land continues to remain in private ownership is what I object to, when the legitimacy of the ownership of the land by the sugar companies in the first place is so... questionable.

No irony intended but excellent point that my statement could be misinterpreted... I know the history and while my background is as a social historian (most definitely not a political one!) the fact that that land continues to remain in private ownership is what I object to, when the legitimacy of the ownership of the land by the sugar companies in the first place is so... questionable.

Thanks for taking my comment in the spirit in which it was intended. It was merely a light-hearted dig, but I was a tiny bit concerned after posting it that I might have ignited a flame war. As an Englishman, I can't really take the high moral ground when it comes to acquisition of land that doesn't belong to us. In fact, unless I'm very much mistaken, Hawaii was British for about 3 months (hence our flag on the Hawaiian flag).

fwiw not too many kanaka maoli on this msgboard. I will say this, i'm not sure what the fate of Lana`i will be. nobody will really know larry ellison's intentions. like it was said before, Lana`i was already privatized by Castle and Crook. my friend's parents actually worked there and every thing was provided for them a kin to a modern day *ahem* plantation *ahem* by C&C. C&C owner, david murdock, even negotiated his right to still pursue a wind farm (which is another can of worms), so aside from the landlord/owner, not much look like its going to change.

I thought Hawaii was "fee simple" and no one, even on Oahu, actually owned the land their home sits on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fee_simple

BTW, seeing this, my wife has asked me to buy Maui for her birthday.

Although you and I are close political neighbors, I don't think one has to be very far left to agree.

Why not sell it back to the Hawaiians???????????
The way it was meant to be!!!

Honest question here -- I'm not being snarky:

I know some of the history of Hawaii. (damn missionarys)
But -- and here's the question -- were any people on the Islands when the Polynesians got there?

Seems like it's always a case of people invading other people's countries and taking what is "rightfully theirs".

Doesn't Australia have laws that if you are not born there, You cannot own land.... We really need this here.. and fight for what is really ours...
Compensation and punative damages...for all the past and current wrongs they still continue to do....

Top Bottom